Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:55 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

All softails, will require a prymary outer and inner removal for the job. Same if you were doin a belt

Old 05-17-2016, 11:49 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindosan
Finally had the 30t Andrews installed WOW
Cool!
What about the rear pulley? I'm doing mine this week and heading to Blue Sky Heaven - it's gonna be tight...

Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Put in the trike 30t in the front yesterday and only had a quick test ride back to my house from the shop. Felt good, but I'm waiting on my 70t for the rear.

I tried out the '06 street bob pulley (part 40576-06) and the pulley makes contact with the swingarm of my blackline, so I'd imagine it would be a no go with the slim as well. The '04-'06 touring pulley works well with an 1/8" spacer, just waiting on a new one.

It took about 4 hours all said and done with the help of a buddy. I feel like if I were to do it a second time I could shave off at least an hour. Had a little set back and had to pull the rear wheel and make an allen tool to get to the starter bolt without pulling the oil tank which added a bit of time to the swap. This thread and the linked thread of the andrews 30t install really helped out for some visuals.

I ordered an extra sprocket bolt under the assumption that even if the impact did get it off, it was going to be beat up and probably better off just replacing the thing anyway. It took a bit of time hitting it with the air impact and some manual twisting of the tool while hitting it with the air impact before it broke loose. The heartland tools worked perfect as well and i'd highly recommend them.

Running the 30t/66t combo I'm just about out of adjustment to get the belt tightened to spec, just a few threads left on the adjuster bolts.

Last edited by Br125; 06-02-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Thet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mind posting pics of the tool you made?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Br125
Tourer

Originally Posted by Thet
Mind posting pics of the tool you made?
The word "tool" should be used loosely lol. I don't have any pics.

Cut down a long allen (forget the size for the starter bolt) so that it's straight and you'll want to use a small ratchet with an extension and a deep socket to slide the allen into. You can fish it through from the right side of the bike right under the tank. If you pull the bolts to the oil tank, you should be able to lift and move the tank around enough to get through there. You might need an extra set of hands at that point. I used a little protective tape on the bottom of the oil tank and it kept from any rubbing from the extension. It's a tight squeeze.

an allen socket didn't fit as it was too fat and wouldn't sit flush into the bolt due to the clearance over the starter.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Br125
The word "tool" should be used loosely lol. I don't have any pics.

Cut down a long allen (forget the size for the starter bolt) so that it's straight and you'll want to use a small ratchet with an extension and a deep socket to slide the allen into. You can fish it through from the right side of the bike right under the tank. If you pull the bolts to the oil tank, you should be able to lift and move the tank around enough to get through there. You might need an extra set of hands at that point. I used a little protective tape on the bottom of the oil tank and it kept from any rubbing from the extension. It's a tight squeeze.

an allen socket didn't fit as it was too fat and wouldn't sit flush into the bolt due to the clearance over the starter.
A ball end allen socket works great for this....The ball end really helps, especially if you can't get a straight shot at the bolt head... didn't need to remove the oil tank bolts on my Rocker..

Last edited by Rocker B; 06-02-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Br125
Tourer

Put the 70t on last week, but not after putting in some SE 204 cams, so unfortunately I can't comment on how the 30/70 worked on my bike with just the stage 1.

With the cams and the gearing, this feels like a completely different bike than before. First gear runs out real quick, but that was obviously to be expected, and 6th gear is actually usable now. Overall, I'm not sure if I would recommend the gearing or cams first, but they both make a massive difference.

again, thanks for the info from everyone.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM
adkg12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I think I am about ready to tackle this 30/70 install on my 2007 SE Road King CVO. I have a couple of questions. I see in some videos, there is the need of a special socket to remove the front pulley locking nut, and in some, this didnt appear to be the case. Also, I seen some where they had to pull a bearing and some where it didnt appear to have a bearing there and simply remove the primary comp and clutch assembly, following by the front drive sprocket. I just dont want to get in there and find I dont have the correct tools for the job. Ideas?
Thanks
Glen

Old 07-05-2016, 01:21 PM
more
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 inch pulley 2013 breakout cvo

I was thinking of putting a 29 inch pulley on my breakout. Other than changing the belt,it may be a cheaper option. I could keep my rear pulley and belt guards. Is there any downsides I may be overlooking?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:02 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by more
I was thinking of putting a 29 inch pulley on my breakout. Other than changing the belt,it may be a cheaper option. I could keep my rear pulley and belt guards. Is there any downsides I may be overlooking?
Welcome to the forum. It should work if you can find the right parts fitment on the pulley- it is certainly not too small of a diameter for a belt. what you need to do is run the gear vs mph charts so you understand what your drive ratio change will be and what rpms you can expect in 6th vs mph. see the links on page 1 of this thread for those charts. at each site you'll find a stock Breakout in the list of bikes and you can just modify that with your intended front 29 pulley.

If you do push forward with this mod it will be very good to see how it turn out, the pulley part you bought or had made, etc.

There is nothing wrong with only changing one pulley (front) to meet your drive ratio objective. the main reason we typically change the front and the rear pulleys here is due to "known parts" and they are easy for most folks to order and get. Plus some guys might want to put on a fancier rear pulley anyway. I have not seen a fitment for our BO's on a 29t front pulley.

Quick Reply: Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%