Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's build time...05 Springer Classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM
G Dub
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks gents. Redbeard! Joe G...I've subscribed to each of your threads and am modeling my fab on yours. Thanks for linking in here to save the search.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 AM
G Dub
Road Captain

Sorry gents. On the road on short notice and rode all weekend. I'll be back on track this week and get pics of the progress.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by G Dub
Sorry gents. On the road on short notice and rode all weekend. I'll be back on track this week and get pics of the progress.
It's about time. Lol.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:37 PM
G Dub
Road Captain

Joe and Redbeard...help!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Redbeard how are you buddy? You were my inspiration.

I made mine a little less pretty than yours, but based on your concept.

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Here's how I did mine - super easy to do with basic tools.

I used a 1/8" thick 1.25" wide aluminum flat stock, cut, filed, and sanded to shape, and mounted it with a couple 1/4-20 x 1/2" bolts, and a new full thread 5/16-18 x 1.25" bolt to mount the console onto.

All the hardware is available from Ace Hardware. Most Ace Hardware stores have a selection of chrome hardware too.

I'm on this console thing and I want some input before I make an irreversible move.

Where the console hole needs to go there is a portion of the bracket that needs to be cut or grooved to allow the new bolt to slide in. I have a carbed bike, so the bracket may be different than on yours. See the attached pic for reference.

If you faced this, Please let me know how you handled it. If you have ideas, I'm wide open to suggestions. I'm loathe to start cutting this part.

It appears this will need to be grooved or removed at the bottom to allow the bolt to slip under the tab.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I think mine had the same little tab and I didn't cut it for sure. I suppose it just bent out of the way a little when the bolt head pushed it down, frankly I don't exactly remember as I type this but for sure I didn't cut it.

The bolt I used had a pretty thin head, it wasn't a grade 8 bolt or anything. Maybe ¼" thick head? It was a standard bolt you get an a kit of bolts from HF or HD (home depot not Harley, they would want $3.33 per bolt).

Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

No cutting for me..... I would not cut anything.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I didn't cut it. There is no need to either. Just mount your new bolt into the flat stock, and then mount the flat stock to the tank on those other two holes. As you tighten it down, the head of the new mounting bolt will push the tab you're asking about down and out of the way. It's not a big deal at all.

Don't cut it though - it provides some structural support to the two holes you're mounting your flat stock onto.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM
G Dub
Road Captain

Thanks for the advice guys. Bent the tab. That worked for that aspec. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Sales guy, not Engineer. But I had the coolest music playing while working on it.

Last bit in the way. A couple posts on the back of the console. Gonna cut holes in the bracket for them to go through. Then we've got it licked.

The little black posts beside the bolt.

Last edited by G Dub; 03-14-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:22 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Gonna cut holes in the bracket for them to go through. Then we've got it licked.
bet you will too Dub lol

Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Bent the tab. That worked for that aspec. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Sales guy, not Engineer. But I had the coolest music playing while working on it.

Last bit in the way. A couple tabs on the back of the console. Gonna cut holes in the bracket for them to go through. Then we've got it licked.
I didn't have to cut anything... did you build your bracket too big?

Post a pic?

Oh and you need short screws to hold on the bracket, at least on the right side - I used a little loctite as I do with most screws on my bike.

Quick Reply: It's build time...05 Springer Classic