Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slim is going Bagger build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 PM
djgdot
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slim is going Bagger build.

Ok so i decided to turn my Slim into a bagger of sorts and thought i would post progress here in case anyone is looking to do the same. The look i want is clean in the front with no fairing, blacked out front, stretched bags, 23" front wheel, no front fender -just fab a fork brace. Decided to keep the stock tank.

Here is the Slim before the project begins:

Attached Thumbnails Slim is going Bagger build.-2015-11-19-16.24.15.jpg  
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 PM
djgdot
Advanced

First thing to go was the pipes too long. so i went the the VH shortshorts they clear the bags ok but still trying to love them.

So after calling some bag kit manufacturers found out no one makes a direct fit kit so i had to change the struts to Deluxe style. The Slims struts are too short.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 PM
djgdot
Advanced

Here is the rear kit i got from Baddad. And the softail conversion kit. The quality of the fiberglass is pretty good. Really happy with them except a couple small things, the lids are plastic and not fiberglass (thought they would be) and the instruction sheet was a poor photocopy at best with no part diagrams. Took a bit of time to figure out where the hardware goes.

also got the little eyebrow peices to cover the gap between the bags and fender. fender came with tubing preglued to fish wires.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

subscribed!...cant wait to see finished product!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Very cool!! I'll be following the progress!!!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 AM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Subscribed. This is going to probably get my wallet in trouble if my wife sees this. She's not real excited over the Harley leather bags she has on her Slim.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:36 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djgdot
First thing to go was the pipes too long. so i went the the VH shortshorts they clear the bags ok but still trying to love them.

So after calling some bag kit manufacturers found out no one makes a direct fit kit so i had to change the struts to Deluxe style. The Slims struts are too short.

On the struts did you use both the inner strut and the cover? I have been looking at this also. But the parts at up quick....

Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong and I probably am but aren't the short shots gonna be shooting hot exhaust directly at the bag? If you wanted to keep short pipes on it I would think the Big Radius pipes would have been a better option.

Interesting build for sure. Looking forward to the finished product

Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM
djgdot
Advanced

Originally Posted by patrick74
On the struts did you use both the inner strut and the cover? I have been looking at this also. But the parts at up quick....
Yes it is both inner and outer. originally i ordered the generics from JP cycles, only one i could find that sells, to save some $ but eventhough the inners were listed as narrow deluxe style they come as wide rear end struts like fat boy so they dont sell ones that fit. ended up buying harley parts for these, cringed when i had to pay.

here are the raw inners:

Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
djgdot
Advanced

so had an issue with the ECM tray as the fender is made for deluxe as well. Sticks out quite a bit (see pic in last post). Was thinking of relocating but decided to just modify the tray instead and it fits good now no interference with seat:

Quick Reply: Slim is going Bagger build.