Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackline 200 Conversion (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Blackline 200 Conversion (Pic Heavy)

Hey guys..I know this has been done before but I've been snapping some pictures along the way so I thought I would start a new thread to document what I've done. Sorry some pics are huge and my garage is a mess so the pics are a little "busy" but you get the general idea!

My Blackline before I started..the stock rear fender was lowered in the struts and took about 3-1/2" to 4" off the back of it. (bike is lowered also) I love the look, love the handling but always felt the bike needed a slightly larger back tire. (purely just for looks)

First order of business was to find a crossbones rear wheel, after some digging I found one locally, left the nice man my money and continued my hunt for a rear tire. Luckily I found an Avon Cobra brand new (also locally) for $100..I was off to good start! Wheel slid right in, stock blackline pulley, stock spacers, only had to remove the splash guard. (new splash guard on its way from a Fatboy Lo..fits right in)

Next, I needed to find a rear fender. I was looking at the RSD fender but with the tanking Canadian dollar I wasn't going to drop $1000 on fenders and struts and I really dislike the seats you need to run with that set-up (no offence to anyone who has one) bitchin seats are nice but again..big $$$
I thought about chopping a fat boy fender but most of the 9" wide fenders I came across were really "flat" along the center section..I was hoping for something a little more round that would still fit the profile of the seat.
Came across the West Coast choppers 8.5" roller fender. From the pictures it looked like I could chop it up and match the lines of the stock fender (fairly close) and it had a little more of a rounded cross section.
So..here we go.
Started with this..

After some fitting, cutting, some more cutting..and some drilling..came out like this...

Comparrison..(yes..thats old carpetting in the garage, concrete gets cold in the garage in January in Ontario Canada)

Next..on to the seat and struts. I wasn't big on the inner struts from a fatboy, they looked too short to me. I'm not skilled enough to cut and re-weld or reshape my original struts so I thought I would see if I could space them out off the frame enough to accommodate the 8.5" fender, basically had to bring each strut out 3/4", spaced them out, mounted them on the frame and the fender fits perfect.
On to the seat, I knew my Danny Gray seat wasn't going to work anymore but I had a slim seat and it really overlaps the struts on the stock set up..so..peeling back the leather on the underside of the seat I carefully cut the plastic pan (pan only, left the foam) where the pan would hit the fender (a tiny spot on each side..maybe 1.5" x 1") and stapled the leather back down to the pan. (don't have a pic but from the underside you cant tell anything was done if you look at it)

So, fender is cut..strut holes drilled, seat mount holes drilled ( thanks to the dremel I could make the little notches for the seat bolts)
It was time for assembly..
Everything fits really well, seat profile matches fender profile quite well, struts spaced out line up nicely with the stock slim seat..pretty happy with how it all fits together.

Thats as far as I've got..need to clean up some of my cut edges and then it's off to paint. I will update once I get it back and re-assembled!

The following 2 users liked this post by Blackp5ca:
g00nda (10-29-2021), Phil McGrath (03-03-2021)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks great

Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Damn- Nicely done and documented. Came out sweet. Great choice on the back tire, the Avons are top notch. See if you can get a matching front at some point.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:42 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

PS if you want to see if the rear tire made any changes to your overall gearing, speedo etc use this calculator - load up the 2014 HD Breakout (same motor, trans, overall drive ratios as your bike), and then edit the tire size info. http://woodsware.aciwebs.com/gears/

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Blackp5ca
Tourer

Thanks..I'll have a look at that calculator!
I was holding out on the front tire at the moment..kinda leaning towards a 23" up front but still on the fence...

Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you have a picture of the fender mounted up without the seat? Also curious to why the Danny seat won't fit. Is it to tall at the fender?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I never understood why Harley didn't put a 200 on the Blackline to start with. The 200 looks like it belongs on that bike. You did some real nice work there. I've been thinking about doing my heat shields gloss black on mine but wasn't sure how it would look. They look real good on yours. I might have another project to do on mine now.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer

I can snap a pic of the fender without the seat..I have it off now ready for paint but I can pop it back on. The Danny Gray seat fits really tight to the 7" fender and the struts..it almost "wraps" the fender if that makes sense? There is no way it would even come close to wrapping the 8.5" fender unfortunately. There was no way to even modify that seat to make it work that I could see (I really liked that seat, it was comfortable and looked great!) Slim seat is quite wide along the back, was easily modified to fit the fender width..still a great looking seat, not as comfy..but I like the lines on it. (and I have a matching pillion for my kids when they hop on the back!

Heat shields have held up really well, put over 7000kms on the bike this past summer and they still shine like they were just done. They did stink for the first few rides but I've been happy with the outcome.. (nice looking Train by the way!)

Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 PM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking good that, well done. It's gonna look great once it's finished.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Nice work. Bike looks a lot better with the fat tire.

Quick Reply: Blackline 200 Conversion (Pic Heavy)