Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New look

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Zero cranking power problems!

Originally Posted by Hellbilly07
Thanks for the input JetFever. I have heard of using a smaller battery but I've also heard mixed opinions on cranking power. DynaJ...the silver version is awesome man. Let's see the next!

I have a letter from EarthX replying to me on the suitability of the ETX36C battery for the 103CI Harley:

EarthX approves the above model battery for our 103 bikes.

I have had mine over a year now and NO problems so far, it cranks like a champ!
I ride often, usually 10-30 miles and have only taken 1 long (1,000+ mile) trip with the EarthX. I would disconnect the ground if the bike was going to sit for a few weeks since the factory alarm is a steady drain. Then this battery would have a longer shelf life than any lead acid. Or you could buy the special trickle charger.

IMHO the only reason to avoid this battery is the cost. I bit the bullet since I did not like the look of the "bubble" or "tall / fat" battery and 'puter covers and I wanted a flush hardtail look on my softail.

Last edited by Jetfever; 02-06-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:13 PM
djgdot
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look 1

Good job on this one with the peanut tank. I think the RSD Vintage one of the nicest tanks for softails (save the extra stops at the gas station)

Did you have to run a sportster fuel pump with the tank?

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 AM
Katienadine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great transformations to the fatboy, very versatile bike. Great platform to change to suit your needs and tastes.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:10 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

EarthX are great batteries. I have an AntiGravity battery in my Breakout- same quality, same price point, different company. got it very cheap from a friend who reps for them. But I'd use either brand they are both top rated. kills me with how much they cost though, hopefully in time that will come down as they are more widely adopted.

Only time you might have cranking issues is in extreme cold temperatures. other than that, very reliable and powerful (and stupid small!). I use an Optimate lithium charger once in a while. Bike can sit for a couple months and fire right up no issues.

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (08-21-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default No problem cranking in cold weather BUT you must know the difference

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
EarthX are great batteries. I have an AntiGravity battery in my Breakout- same quality, same price point, different company. got it very cheap from a friend who reps for them. But I'd use either brand they are both top rated. kills me with how much they cost though, hopefully in time that will come down as they are more widely adopted.

Only time you might have cranking issues is in extreme cold temperatures. other than that, very reliable and powerful (and stupid small!). I use an Optimate lithium charger once in a while. Bike can sit for a couple months and fire right up no issues.
This is a good vid showing some of the differences between Lead Acid and Li Po.
HUGE difference in cold weather, you MUST know this:

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (08-21-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Hellbilly07
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just looked up the price on the earthx battery and that's insane man!lol. DynaJ what other mods do you have planned?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djgdot
Look 1

Good job on this one with the peanut tank. I think the RSD Vintage one of the nicest tanks for softails (save the extra stops at the gas station)

Did you have to run a sportster fuel pump with the tank?

Actually the bike has a carb so it was a simple as cutting the tank mounts and putting the tank on. The tank is know sitting in the painters showroom (he originally painted it)..Traded it for some paint work, but I have the tank mount in my garage.. lol

Last edited by DynaJ; 02-08-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hellbilly07
Just looked up the price on the earthx battery and that's insane man!lol. DynaJ what other mods do you have planned?

This are great batteries they just got them in a my local Harley..$$$$ ouch

I am going to re paint a set of tins I have in my garage I'm thinking blue and black with some silver flake in it. Most likely will run hard bags, looking at a 120r but I think I just complained about a expensive battery..lol

Old 02-13-2016, 01:23 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

Ok got everything in the front still waiting on the stock rear fender, I kind of like this look though..but then again I just looked at the Dyna S, I need to stay out of the dealer! Lol

Old 02-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DynaJ
Ok got everything in the front still waiting on the stock rear fender, I kind of like this look though..but then again I just looked at the Dyna S, I need to stay out of the dealer! Lol
Man I was going to say this look is by far the coolest. I've always been a fan of this one.
Why not just tweek it of you got the mod bug to do something? Open belt? Engine mods? Such a sweet looking bike

Quick Reply: New look