Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25mm bearing shims

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:59 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25mm bearing shims

I am trying to mount a new wheel on my 2008 Night train.
I took the internal spacer from my stock wheel and replaced the 1" bearings with 25mm bearings in the new wheel.
The rotor is .140" or around 3.5mm to far towards the right.
The bearing on the rotor side seems like it needs to have a shim placed behind it to have the rotor/caliper line up.

I can't seem to find any shims.
Anyone have any idea where I can find shims?
thanks,

Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Or would it be better to get a longer outer right spacer and a shorter left spacer than to add a shim?
It is weird how uncentered the wheel is between the forks.
Moving it only 3.5mm to the left isn't going to make it in the center.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:02 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

All the alignment is done with reference to the left side bearing - when installing new bearings it's important to start with the left bearing and make 100% sure that it seats all the way home, then the right bearing is installed so that it just meats the internal spacer tube.

From there you find what length spacer is needed on the left to get the rotor perfectly aligned in the calliper.
The length of the right side spacer is not critical as the last item that gets tightened is the cap on the end on the shock and it clamps down on the raised section of the axle.

The wheel spacers are available, but most often sold in sets, for around $60

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ght-train.html

Edit: It looks like the rear wheel that you're working with - follow the same guides, making sure that the bearing on the side of the brake goes in first, and all the way home.

Take photos of the area in question.

Last edited by 1004ron; 02-01-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Ok that makes sense!
But if I get a spacer that centers the rotor with the caliper, wouldn't the other side push against the fork? There is only a little space there now.

It does just clamp onto the axle but I thought it also was supposed to have a drill bit amount of space. If I lengthen the rotor side spacer it will push that side tight against the fork and possibly even push the fork outward.
Seems I would want to shorten it by the amount I lengthen the other side.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:11 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blksoftail
I am trying to mount a new wheel on my 2008 Night train.
Front or rear?
I took the internal spacer from my stock wheel and replaced the 1" bearings with 25mm bearings in the new wheel.
The rotor is .140" or around 3.5mm to far towards the right.
The bearing on the rotor side seems like it needs to have a shim placed behind it to have the rotor/caliper line up.

I can't seem to find any shims.
Anyone have any idea where I can find shims?
thanks,
No shims or spacers are used behind the bearing - the brake side bearing must be the first to go in, and it goes in all the way home, then alignment is done with spacers on either side of the brake calliper bracket.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Ok that makes sense!
But if I get a spacer that centers the rotor with the caliper, wouldn't the other side push against the fork? There is only a little space there now.

It does just clamp onto the axle but I thought it also was supposed to have a drill bit amount of space. If I lengthen the rotor side spacer it will push that side tight against the fork and possibly even push the fork outward.
Seems I would want to shorten it by the amount I lengthen the other side.
Fork - so that must be the front wheel then?

The spacer width on the right is not critical, as the axle is pulled through until the raised section on the right comes up against the spacer and the raised section is closely aligned for the fork clamp.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-train-2.html

Last edited by 1004ron; 02-01-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:52 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Fork - so that must be the front wheel then?

The spacer width on the right is not critical, as the axle is pulled through until the raised section on the right comes up against the spacer and the raised section is closely aligned for the fork clamp.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-train-2.html
Sometimes I have to be brow beaten before it makes sense!
Now it makes sense the fork will just slide more over the axle...Duh
So simple I couldn't see it.
Thanks for sticking with me!!!
Now to find a spacer on the rotor side to push it over the right amount or cut one to length!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Thinking about it more last night and looking at the wheel I still think the non rotor side spacer needs to be shortened if you lengthen the rotor side.
The fork has just a drill bit size space between it and that spacer.
If I move the rotor over far enough for the caliper to fit it will have the wheel pushing the fork outward.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Thinking about it more last night and looking at the wheel I still think the non rotor side spacer needs to be shortened if you lengthen the rotor side.
The fork has just a drill bit size space between it and that spacer.
If I move the rotor over far enough for the caliper to fit it will have the wheel pushing the fork outward.
Correct, If you add length to the rotor side spacer you must subtract from the right side spacer, however the right side spacer length is not critical, just need a clearance so that it does not push against the right side fork when the axle nut is pulled up.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:38 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Correct, If you add length to the rotor side spacer you must subtract from the right side spacer, however the right side spacer length is not critical, just need a clearance so that it does not push against the right side fork when the axle nut is pulled up.
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: 25mm bearing shims