Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The DA$RK SIDE...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
Good read from one individual. Don't think I will converting to the dark side though. To each their own. If it works for you then keep at it. For me, I'll keep replacing my motorcycle tires every year or as needed.
And your "attitude" is exactly the right one to have. "To each their own" is all that any of us can ask. Thanks for not condemning without trying. Have a good day.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I read about a big article on this a while ago...interesting read but it didn't affect me since I ride cruisers an prefer shorter rides. These riders were riding more miles a trip than a typical motorcycle tire would last. They'd have to have a new tire installed during the trip. I don't recall any of them saying they changed back so I assume it went well. Also these were heavy touring / bikes I remember one being a Honda Valkyrie.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i must admit i have been pondering doing this. i ride hard and i ride through all conditions so i had major handling concerns. to illustrate a point, i do know that skinny tires (thats what i run) are more responsive than wider tires.

but then again people who switch to wide tires also say they get used to the difference in handling.

After much reading, i have noticed a few points being expressed by those who have moved to the dark side.

and i like some of those points.

according to some, car tires handle rain much better than bike tires.
the mileage thing is kinda obvious and well known (car tires last a long time, bike tires... the stickier they are, the faster you need to replace them)

Having pointed out the difference in bike tire compounds i should also say that more (quite a bit more) contact area is present with a car tire vs bike tire... i can see how that equates to more traction.

a few things i have noticed... people who go darkside do not often switch back, nor do they run just any old car tire... seems there are better and worse options for a bike application, and the people into it, can point out some good ones based on personal and general feedback.

for me, mileage is a nice thing for the pocket book... being able to pass people in a good rain without spinning out so i can get by the blind overly cautious senior, or simply to avoid the over spray.... those seem like points worth researching.
i will let you know what i decide when i have to replace my tires again.

i forgot to mention....it seems with a car tire you can get home with a flat without running on the rim, albeit slowly... trust me, it really sucks riding rim trying to get back to civilization.

Last edited by goats; 02-04-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Savage3006
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I have read the run flat car tires are the way a lot of darksiders go.. stronger side walls. Might be a the weakest part of a car tire is the side walls. I believe the rounded shape of the bike tire is there to allow the tire to allow the largest amount of tire hitting the road when leaning in to turns. I knew a guy who lived in my old neighborhood who rode a honda vtx1800 he ran a ct on that bike.. I didn't live close to him so never got to talk to him about it, but I could see that back tire every time I went buy his house. For now it doesn't seem like I am going this route. I want to try the new Michelin commander II on the rear of mine in a few months I herad those are getting some great numbers on miles. some at 20k or so. I was in my indy shop when he got some pictures from a fellow mechanic, with the mileage and wear on some commander II's. HE looked up and me and said "****. There goes my tire business."

Old 02-04-2016, 05:46 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am running those now, will report about mileage but i will say they do not handle as well as perelli night dragons.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I know 6 people that run CT's on their bikes. They have done so for a long time and, swear by them. I still run bike tires.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
Lol. Tell me this a joke. No WAY people actually do this. Do they?
that tire might as well be a joke; considering most bike tire threads are unidirectional designed.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Yes I know this is from a GW forum, but when I got caught needing a tire for a short notice trip I put a GW tire on my Ultra. Slightly lower profile.
If you take the time to read it, there are many good points. Also watched a video and the contact patch in turns is actually more that a standard MC tire. Go figure.
There is a thread on this forum and riders discussing how poorly there bikes handles after switching back to MC tires.
Pretty much think it's one of those thing that if you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
I'm not rich or poor, so the mileage aspect alone doesn't grab me, but think about the advantage of a better handling, longer wearing, and a run flat - (zero pressure) tire would be.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...otorcycle.html

Look under Forums - This & That - Darkside

Last edited by TSheff; 02-11-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently sold a '97 Valkyrie (impressive bike and big) and several guys in the group ran 16 50 205s on their bikes. They swore by them and the rear of the bike looks filled out. That big squared tire and contact patch looks pretty bad. Cool to see one lit up.

Not for me I ran Michelin tires on my bike.

Last edited by lbottini; 02-11-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running a CT for a while now and have nothing but great thing to say about it. I noticed a little difference in handling not not in a bad way. Just different. Big increase in breaking, handling the rain and of course tire mileage. I still take the twisties like a bat out of hell. Has not slowed me down any. Like others have said, to each his own.

Quick Reply: The DA$RK SIDE...