Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The DA$RK SIDE...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:36 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

It's pretty straight forward when broken down from a logical Pproach.
Car vs. m/c operate diffently. Why tires have to work in accordence to design. Hence the "DA$RK SIDE"

Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeamj
I would think, and forgive me here as I don't know much about the dark side, the car tires would be fine on a softail because our lean angle is so low. I mean most of our bikes are about 26% on the lean angle and still within the tread area of a car tire. Not like a sport bike with upwards of 50-60 degrees or a touring with 30+ degrees of lean.

Again I could be wrong but that is just an observation
A WINNER, someone who actually thinks for himself instead of just accepting what engineers tell him.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and if you sail across the ocean you will fall off the earth!!

Old 12-23-2016, 05:57 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

seen bikes ride on water. But sails?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Been there? Or are you contemplating it?
I my self don't get it. Less I rode in a straight line all day. But then, that would be only half the fun. No?
So why you do it?
I think of it like this...to each their own. I'm kinda one of those that sees people buy a bike and take all the good stuff off like the suspension and the seat and make it extremely uncomfortable, and I have never understood it - but I don't try. I just know that I'll never do it and go about my way. The same with the 26 plus inch wheel. I think it is completely pointless and destroys a bike purpose built for long distance cruising, but what they do with their money is on them and I look at it [some of them] look really cool, but everything that's nice to look at isn't worth the test drive.

Originally Posted by Savage3006
I want to try the new Michelin commander II on the rear of mine in a few months
The mileage on the Commander II is phenomenal. Wet traction though is lacking. Especially after adding some power to the bike, confidence in the tire went down quite a bit. I have run this tire for years, and seeing as the CT gets the mileage of a top mileage MT, but the grip of the grippiest 4k mile MT all in one - and then add that it is half the cost and I'm there. I was going to wait until my tire was done with, but this tire doesn't die easy. I currently have about 10k on this tire, and I would ride it halfway across the country with what's left without batting an eye. I'm thinking this tire would pass 15k miles easily. I will be changing well before then though.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

One would think by now, MC manufacturers and tyre alike. Might have considererd a hybtid type tyre
but I have yet to hear of any
i've gotten 29k mi. from the venerable D402 MT90B on my softail
tubes make long goins a much easier affair and will continue using them on big bikes
i just dont see how a car tyre makin sense on a cruiser

Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I would put money on the mc tires taken off by these darksiders have chicken strips an inch wide. Touring with stupid heavy loads, I get it. Riding the thing in turns like an actual motorcycle, no. I'm a firm believer to look at racebikes. They handle, brake and accelerate faster than any streetbike. Do they ever use car tires?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Such a debate
wouldnt be tho, if the wuestion didn't involve "touring", or "straight line ability". Case in point... Dragsters

Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The best way to make sense of it is only to try it.

Just like I say before: some think a CT on a bike is stupid, some think stripping down a perfectly good motorcycle is stupid - all that stuff was put on it for a reason, right? Just like some think its stupid to buy a bagger because it "takes away from the motorcycle experience" (yes, that's a real argument)

Try it out if you're curious. Try it out if you're against it to be able to make your argument valid.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Take it from me, I currently own one of each and there is no comparison, plus the fact a CT doesn't have the strength built into the sidewall. When my first one went flat I took it off to repair and it was obvious that the side was coming apart. Not sure why I put another CT on it, guess I figured out of 3 bikes I had one for corners, one for hopping bars and one for going straight! haha

Attached Thumbnails The DA$RK SIDE...-fat-tires.jpg  

Quick Reply: The DA$RK SIDE...