Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's in your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts
Default What's in your tank?

Good gas. Bad gas... Ethanol or pure. The song remains the same (Led Zeppelin); you're gonna have deposits in your combustion chamber and and residue of unburnt petroleum matter through out your system.

Now I'm no scientist or mechanical genius. Just another poor slob who cares about getting the best bang for a buck and as much power out of my gasoline depended motors as promised by their manufacturers promise!
Promises. Promises!

Well, what they don't promise is that once you take these machines home, is that the rest depends on you. So it's all about what we do as far as making sure that these technological wiz bangers continue to perform as "promised". or for ever hold your peace.

Luckily there is help. Help from members here who maybe are scientists, or mechanical geniuses.
From forums regarding to this specific nature also are a great source where one can visit and read testimonials on which products/ fuel additives and treatments worked best for their applications and so on.
But that's it!

I've tried just about every fuel treatment product out there, but there are some out there that I haven't. Why?
Because my basic reach only extends so far.
So this led me to think what OTHERS. Those who burn through more that what the average motorist does. "Those" of whom rely on their equipment for more than just a hop here and there.
Those who can not afford to be left stranded somewhere because where they are, one second is one second less than the reaction to safely get their payload from point A, to point B.

I'd like to know more and I'm sure you would too. So I looked and found some bits of info here and there. And one that I will share with you now.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ty-vs-fiction/

http://www.thecrewreport.com/reviews...-additive-flag

If you have any additional links to a source you feel might be beneficial to our community on this subject, please let us know.
Thank you!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

Premium 98 Octane unleaded.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
Premium 98 Octane unleaded.
doesn't that cost like $10. a pop? And not easy to find. So that's not gonna help the basic motorist. But thank you.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

AND!!!! What are these so called "proprietary or trade secret ingredients"? I bet you know LOL.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_g..._products.html

Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Remember, octane measurements are different in other parts of the world than they are in the US.

98 RON, which I assume is the measurement they use in Australia, is about equivalent to our 93 octane (rm/2).

Last edited by Mother; 02-08-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Regular with the probability of 10% ethanol added.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

92 Octane with Stabil additive.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 PM
thor05deluxe
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not hijacking OP. Just curious about your thoughts on pumping the 93 at the local station. There's about a 80-90% chance the previous auto to pump fuel put in the low grade 87. The blender/switch (for lack of not knowing the correct term) is usually located down around ground level at a normal filling station. How much of that 87 fuel is pumped into your tank before you get full 93? My guess with the piping from the "switch" and through the hose is probably close to 2 to 2.5 gallons. If one was to fill their tank at 1/2, we'd really only be getting 87 octane, correct? How do you combat that?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by thor05deluxe
Not hijacking OP. Just curious about your thoughts on pumping the 93 at the local station. There's about a 80-90% chance the previous auto to pump fuel put in the low grade 87. The blender/switch (for lack of not knowing the correct term) is usually located down around ground level at a normal filling station. How much of that 87 fuel is pumped into your tank before you get full 93? My guess with the piping from the "switch" and through the hose is probably close to 2 to 2.5 gallons. If one was to fill their tank at 1/2, we'd really only be getting 87 octane, correct? How do you combat that?
there are ways we can check for maximum ethanol and octane ratios.
Here is a link; http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html < checks octane rates

http://www.fuel-testers.com/order.html < checks E10 in fuel

Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thor05deluxe
I'm really not familiar with the dispensing equipment so I'm not sure how much further it is to where the switch occurs, but if you calculate a 10 ft hose that's 5/8" inside diameter that comes out to 36.82 cubic inches, which is about .16 gallons...

As to how to combat the issue? Get in line behind someone with a turbocharged sports car that requires premium.

Last edited by Mother; 02-08-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: What's in your tank?