Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to secure 2nd helmet to Softail?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 AM
MrRK
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to secure 2nd helmet to Softail?

Hey everyone,

I have a Softail Slim and want to carry a second half helmet on my bike at all times. I hate saying no to friends/girls who ask me for rides just because I don't have my 2nd helmet on me at that moment.

I've been told (internet/dealer etc.) to secure the second helmet to the rear fender with a bungee cord cargo net.

1. I'ver read that the bungee cord hooks can slide back and forth and over time scratch the rear fender. Is this true? If yes, how can it be avoided?

2. When my bike is parked, anybody can literally walk away with the helmet. I figured I can use a cable lock through the chin strap D-ring and secure that to some part of the bike. (I'm aware that someone could easily cut the chin strap with a pocket knife or the cable lock, but I got this second helmet for free. It's a risk I'm willing to take)

Lastly, I don't want to use a passenger pillon/luggage rack/use my backpack.

What are you guys' thoughts? Is this way too complicated or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,110 Likes on 6,201 Posts

Post a picture if your bike. How it is set up will make it easier to make suggestions.

I hate to state the obvious, but you said you don't want to use a passenger pillion to carry the helmet. So even if you secure the helmet elsewhere, how will the passenger ride if there is no passenger pillion?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:00 AM
MrRK
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Post a picture if your bike. How it is set up will make it easier to make suggestions.

I hate to state the obvious, but you said you don't want to use a passenger pillion to carry the helmet. So even if you secure the helmet elsewhere, how will the passenger ride if there is no passenger pillion?
Some clarification: My bike has a passenger seat/pillon, just no backrest (got the words mixed up, my bad!) I've usually seen people securing the 2nd helmet to the backrest which is something I'm trying to avoid.

And here's a picture! (this one doesn't show the passenger pillon as clearly but it's the best I got for now!) Thanks for the quick response

Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,110 Likes on 6,201 Posts

Good looking bike. I only see a solo seat.

If you have a swing arm bag, if it is small enough helmet, you might be able to shove it in there.

I can't tell by that picture because swing arm bags are normally on the left side.

Also, you don't bungee it directly to the fender. You hook it to a bolt or turn signal. They sell nuts that are specifically made for a bungee hook.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ad-bungee-nuts

Last edited by Prot; 02-11-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at your bike, I'd use two bungees; one between the turn signals, and one between the passenger footpegs. I only have full-face helmets, so it's pretty easy to secure through the chin part. Might be more tricky with an open helmet. You might have more luck with a cargo bungee net, attached to the same four points.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

A Slim is not designed to carry stuff, especially a spare helmet for "just in case".

Either get a different bike or move to a no-helmet state.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had one like the expensive helmet carrier in the photo but couldn't keep up with maintenance.

I think a luggage rack is the most practical way to carry stuff like that.

Attached Thumbnails Best way to secure 2nd helmet to Softail?-photo177.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd suggest hitting up jpcycles.com and using something like this (cheap, low profile and can be used for other things like a book bag or jacket)...

Old 02-11-2016, 07:33 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Most of the time maintance costs can not be avoided. In your case that would be a necessary evel.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM
jhsellers
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HelmetBra

Best way to carry an extra helmet on ANY bike, unless you have luggage that will accommodate.

http://www.helmetbra.com/

I have one of these I bought in the early 80s - and it's been great; more secure than any form of bungees.

Hope this helps,
John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to secure 2nd helmet to Softail?