Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Jeffrey Barnes
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 upgrade

I have just bought new Vance Hines big shots and k&n high flow filter kit. My question is if I put these items on my bike can I drive it aprox 10 miles to the dealer to have the fuel system remapped with out hurting the bike, or should I just take the parts to the dealer and let them do it????

Old 02-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Myself, I would put the parts on and order a tuner with the maps done up for the parts. Either from Fuel Moto or whoever. I would not get the dealership to tune my bike. I'm also rather **** and would advise against riding the bike without the proper tune installed for your Stage 1. I'm sure 10 miles won't hurt it much but why chance it? Especially if the bike is new and not really broken in yet. JMO

Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Riding 10 miles won't hurt it at all.... you'll be lean so just don't beat on it....

Some will say the ECM will adjust for the change and no remapping is needed. That is true, to a point...

These bikes are lean from the factory to appease EPA requirements, so I would remap as soon as practical.

For what it's worth, almost all the HD downloads (remaps) are still EPA compliant and on the lean side.... If you are planning on other mods down the line, for about the price of 2 HD downloads, you can buy a PowerVision tuner and have access to just about any map you'll ever need. And they won't be lean EPA maps..

Enjoy....!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So from experience the dealer reflash won't do much especially if you change the exhaust. Actually it will most likely have tons of backfires when decelerating. Personally instead of paying 200 for the dealer flash get a power vision or power commander from FM and they can load a map in for you that works well. Either choice would be about 3 bills.

Another option is to find a good dyno tuner in your area and have them optimize your bike for the way you ride.

Speaking from experience here. I did slip-ones and stage 1 AC on my own and used the street tuner from HD. I had TONS of decel popping. When I did my cams I went with a power commander V and a dyno tune. It never ran better even when stock. If I were to do it all over I would personally go with a power vision and target tune so as to keep the adaptive fuel and closed loop operation

Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Don't have it remapped.
Get a tuner.

A fuel pak 3 is getting high marks.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in agreement with Berick. A Stage 1 is a simple job. Do the work yourself. Additionally, if you have your dealer Tune the bike they will do so using Harley's Scream'in Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) which in my opinion is the worst device on the market. Investigate tuning it yourself with either a Power Vision, or V@H's new FuelPak. Both devices have capabilities beyond that of the SERT.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

What bike and year do you have?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Barnes
I have just bought new Vance Hines big shots and k&n high flow filter kit. My question is if I put these items on my bike can I drive it aprox 10 miles to the dealer to have the fuel system remapped with out hurting the bike, or should I just take the parts to the dealer and let them do it????
it is ok to ride it just don't go all wide open throttle. but the dealer map is going to suck, bad. the stage 1 HD map is "50 state epa compliant". that means it is very lean at all areas just as much as the stock map, but has some more fuel added for heavier throttle.

get a Powervision from FuelMoto, or a Fuelpak FP3 from V&H. way better place to put your money than the dealer's tune.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Don't have it remapped.
Get a tuner.

A fuel pak 3 is getting high marks.
+1... I just did a Stage 1 on my Deluxe and am using the V&H FP3. You won't find a better or easier to use tuner. By the way, the cheapest place I found it was on Amazon.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Barnes
You can ride it the 10 miles to the shop, it probably won't even be warmed up by then and not running the EPA lean settings.

However, as most have said, you will be better off with a Power Vision or an FP3. You will get far more for your money and a better tune, now and later.

You can read more about both of these easy to use tuners HERE.

The first post in the following thread also has a good overview of all tuning options (including the dealer option)-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com