Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts On An 05 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Thoughts On An 05 Fat Boy

A friend came to me this week and told me about a guy that is wanting to sell an 05 Fat Boy. It's the EFI model in Sierra Red Pearl and Brilliant Silver, supposed to have only 2900 miles. Any concerns for that year/model, I love my 2011 Fat Boy Lo and we are looking at something for the OL to ride. I'm going to check it out Saturday morning and I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can. I know that it's the 15th anniversary year and read that some were limited editions and some were standard issue but it didn't go into much detail about which is which. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
A friend came to me this week and told me about a guy that is wanting to sell an 05 Fat Boy. It's the EFI model in Sierra Red Pearl and Brilliant Silver, supposed to have only 2900 miles. Any concerns for that year/model, I love my 2011 Fat Boy Lo and we are looking at something for the OL to ride. I'm going to check it out Saturday morning and I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can. I know that it's the 15th anniversary year and read that some were limited editions and some were standard issue but it didn't go into much detail about which is which. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I have a 05 fatboy ( I have , Mine is carbed and had the 95ci kit installed at the dealer by the original dealer but I can tell you that the 95 kit is a beast!. Do yourself a favor and check the vin it will tell you if it's the special edition or the standard...either way its a fun bike no out strange quirks. How much is he asking for it?

Old 03-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DynaJ
I have a 05 fatboy ( I have , Mine is carbed and had the 95ci kit installed at the dealer by the original dealer but I can tell you that the 95 kit is a beast!. Do yourself a favor and check the vin it will tell you if it's the special edition or the standard...either way its a fun bike no out strange quirks. How much is he asking for it?
All he has really said is that he looked around and has seen them going from 8-12 and doesn't really know what his is worth. He realizes that the amount of sitting it's done that it could need some work, he is an old farmer and doesn't know much about bikes so he wants me and my friend to take a look at it and see what we think. I'm not looking to steal it but don't want to pay a premium for it either. If I get it it will be the OL's first bike so maybe holding off on the performance mods until she gets some seat time in, but it will have to sound like a Harley.

Where can I get some info on what to look for in the VIN?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:40 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

If you have a good relationship with a dealer they can run it for you. I think 10,000 is to high, I would be at 6-8..If it's a anniversary model then 8,000 will be a fair deal, all depending on the condition I guess.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DynaJ
If you have a good relationship with a dealer they can run it for you. I think 10,000 is to high, I would be at 6-8..If it's a anniversary model then 8,000 will be a fair deal, all depending on the condition I guess.
that's about what I was thinking

Old 03-05-2016, 01:43 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,209 Likes on 8,364 Posts

My bike is in my sig pic. It is a CVO; not that it means much from a general point of view. It rides smooth and has a solid suspension, and it`s comfortable to ride. The `05s just have a five speed trans, though, so the revs are a little on the high side when cruising the interstate. My big beef with it is the twin cam engine with all of its quirks and low quality main and cam bearings, along with the pressed crank. If you can get an ESP on this old a bike, you would be $ ahead, because you`re going to use it. I would have had more than $4K in repairs if I had not had this warranty with three major claims for engine repairs. IMHO any twin cam engine is a bad deal if you don`t have a warranty.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 AM
DynaJ
Road Master

I disagree with the 5 speed comment, HD made a hell of a 5 speed pretty damn strong. If you don't want the high revs on the interstate you always go up a tooth in the rear. I have had my bike on the interstate at speeds and revs we won't talk about here and the bike never redlined. Never been a fan of extended warranty plans standard matinence will go a long way. If you by the bike go through it, lube and adjust everything thing that the service manual says to do. Check cam tensioners and ride on!!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Old farmers don't offer extended warranty plans, but I am not a fan of the either.

Took a look this morning, it's got 2600 miles on it. He is stuck on the fact that he sees them going for 12 on ebay, I offered 8 and he wouldn't take it. It's nice and would clean up but I'm not going to pay more than I can insure it for. Low retail is $5800 and High is $10995 so I left it at I will talk it over with the OL and give you a call. Honestly I could take it or leave it, it's low miles but it's just a bike.

Some crappy cell phone pics

Old 03-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 2010 harley fatboy lo

i have a 2010 fatboy lo with 5.000 miles on the dealer wanted to give 10 grand i said no way my bike is preety nice i think the fatboy you looked at looks preety nice good luck

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts On An 05 Fat Boy-12144718_946389302101064_7830173882973495777_n.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 11:35 AM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a nice clean looking bike. Mine is an '04 Fatboy and I have had no issues with it what so ever. I have no problem with it being a 5-speed either. With an average of less than 300 miles per year I would look at flushing all fluids and new tires to start.
My guess is somewhere between $8k - $10k would be a fair price.

Quick Reply: Thoughts On An 05 Fat Boy