Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cv carb jetting question

Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cv carb jetting question

I have a 2000 tc springer..all stock..i just upgraded to a dragtron aircleaner with a k&n air filter and 2/14 drag pipes with torque cones...ive rejetted the carb from #45/#190 to #48/#200...responds great but i feel its still running lean...no black soot in the pipes yet..the air/fuel screw has been drilled out and adjusted as well...was thinking to go up on the main...any suggestions or thoughts?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

It's an old bike, so think old school tech.

Get it out on the road and fully warmed up. Fourth gear, about 2500 rpm hammer it wide open. At various rpms ABOVE 4000 rpm "slightly let off the throttle". If the power increases as you gently roll off the throttle, your main jet is still too lean. If your still unsure, run it up to various rpm between 3-4K. Slam the throttle wide open. Does it accelerate smooth or does it want to slug until you get way up in the rpm range. If it does that, the main jets too rich.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:29 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

when you changed jets did you verify float level? otherwise I agree with bikerlaw completely - but most of my experience has been with linkerts - those are adjustable while riding - but you look for the same things, smooth transitions, healthy go. obviously zero vacuum leaks is essential...

Old 04-25-2016, 06:01 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser

Thanks guys i will pay attention to the throttle suggestion...i had it out on the highway and was doing that and didnt notice anything..but i will run it again...i did wack the throttle and and had immediate response..wasnt sluggish

Old 04-25-2016, 06:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by lowglide88
Thanks guys i will pay attention to the throttle suggestion...i had it out on the highway and was doing that and didnt notice anything..but i will run it again...i did wack the throttle and and had immediate response..wasnt sluggish
Given this, it sounds pretty darn close. I was running the exact same 48/200 on my Evo and it was dead nuts with drags. But.... but, they were 40 inch 1 3/4 drags with fishtail extensions. I just don't know if your ever gonna get killer throttle response without a flat spot somewhere with the 2 1/4 drag pipes your running. Even with the torque cones. Those are just not optimum exhaust pipes street driven twin cam.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Try resetting the mix screw, if your more than 3 turns out before it runs rough then go up one more
Size on the slow jet. The main jet is usually plenty rich.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser

Originally Posted by the blob
Try resetting the mix screw, if your more than 3 turns out before it runs rough then go up one more
Size on the slow jet. The main jet is usually plenty rich.
The mixture is about 5 turns out now...no change in idle..doesnt run rough at all...youre saying i should go up from #48 pilot and leave the #200 main alone?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Yes, I think your main is plenty rich. Bump up the pilot jet to a 48. What do he plugs look like? But if it's not pinging then I'd leave it alone.

Last edited by the blob; 04-26-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser

Originally Posted by the blob
Yes, I think your main is plenty rich. Bump up the pilot jet to a 48. What do he plugs look like? But if it's not pinging then I'd leave it alone.
I have a #48 in it now...ive tried adjusting the mixture screw...but it doesnt seem to change...it runs great..no back firing or pinging...just no black soot in the pipes..plugs are clean..no major white miscoloration..little i was told is normal due to todays fuel...thanks blob for youre response..anything further would be helpful too

Old 04-26-2016, 11:05 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

No prob. This is the reason I really dig carbd Harleys.
I think your jetting should be pretty close, I can't imagine
You'd need any fatter jets. Run the bike for for a 1000 miles
Or so while paying attention to how it's running. After that
Check the plugs, they should start to show some tan pastel
Like color on the porcelain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cv carb jetting question