Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM
RDG2013
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Opinion

I am looking at getting the stage one done on my 2012 Heritage to help reduce the heat issue. I talked with the service dept. where I purchased the bike and he is recommending "Vance & Hines 3" Round Twin Slash Slip on mufflers” as part of the upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with these mufflers. I don't want something that is going to be real loud, (I am getting old !), but something with a deeper “Harley sound" would be nice.

The dealer I purchased from is not an authorized Harley dealer. They sell used Harley’s only and they have the Dyno room for doing the tune up. I checked with a harley dealer also and they recommend the screaming eagle mufflers but they are about $300 more for the complete upgrade versus the dealer I purchased the bike from.
Thanks,
RDG

Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by RDG2013
I am looking at getting the stage one done on my 2012 Heritage to help reduce the heat issue. I talked with the service dept. where I purchased the bike and he is recommending "Vance & Hines 3" Round Twin Slash Slip on mufflers” as part of the upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with these mufflers. I don't want something that is going to be real loud, (I am getting old !), but something with a deeper “Harley sound" would be nice.

The dealer I purchased from is not an authorized Harley dealer. They sell used Harley’s only and they have the Dyno room for doing the tune up. I checked with a harley dealer also and they recommend the screaming eagle mufflers but they are about $300 more for the complete upgrade versus the dealer I purchased the bike from.
Thanks,
RDG
Id look into the Rush slip ons. They have different size baffles that can be changed. When i had my 2012 Fatboy Lo i installed the Rush 3" with 2.0 Baffle and it sounded great. They also make a 1.75 Baffle that's much more quiet and a 2.25 baffle that's louder! But if your not happy with the way one sounds you can just change out the baffle size. If i dont get full exhaust on my new 2016 Fatboy thats the route i will go..But the 2.25 baffle this time

Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I just had the V&H twin slash slip ons installed yesterday. They are loud, but nothing that are going to **** off my neighbors. At idle and lower RPM they are nice and throaty, but when you twist the throttle, they'll let you know. They also make quiet baffles for them, if you choose to go that way.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was trying to decide the service guy told me the loudness is; Screaming Eagle, Rush, V&H.

I went with the Rush w/2" baffles. It was to loud for me but had a nice base tone. I bought the 1.75, I didn't notice then to be much quieter but I lost the base tone. I gave it a chance but in two weeks put the 2" baffles back. I figured if it is loud I might as well enjoy the base tone. I keep it low RPM in the neighborhood, they seem to like from what they tell me.

Now I wouldn't get rid of them, I think they have a deeper tone than the V&H I have heard on softails.

Last edited by eichacsj; 05-05-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Cool

i have the 2010 fatboy lo with the rush slip on mufflers 2 inch baffles. can i use the 2.25 baffle they sell will it be louder thanks

Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 PM
kansei
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Twin Slash on my Blackline . They sound a lot like the Big Radius 2 in 2 at idle and not as load when riding .

Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to retain the stock look check out American Classics. They are a vendor on this site. I had their mufflers with mid baffles and loved them before I went to true duals. Not too loud and flow nice. Still have them too and would let em go cheap if you decide to go that way.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

look into a 2 into 1. gives you that "rumble" when you want it then its pretty tame when your at idle

Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Back in 07 I had the Rush 2''ers installed on our Heritage, it was the 1st set our dealer every put on a bike. In fact I had to order them from another dealer and then take them to my dealer, My dealer said they couldn't order them because they had a deal of some kind with V&H's..

anyway,,, they are still on our bike 9 yrs and 53K later and we still like them...

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the V&H 3" twin Slash on my Street Bob. They are loud, But sound GREAT! My neighbors did not complain. They are quiet enough at low speed, but really make your bike sound like a Harley when you twist the throttle. I went with the Bassani Road Rage 2:1 on the Lo, they are quieter at low speed, but are deep and throaty when you pull the trigger. The V&H are a good price and a good choice!

Quick Reply: Muffler Opinion