Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 AM
-SD-
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest motor?

is there a 130 or 140 cubic inch crate production motor thats bolt-on to the fatboy? If not whats the biggest?
For reference i have 2014 FLSTF
vance/hines bigshots

I want the loudest sound so if i need new pipes also?

Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by -SD-
is there a 130 or 140 cubic inch crate production motor thats bolt-on to the fatboy? If not whats the biggest?
For reference i have 2014 FLSTF
vance/hines bigshots

I want the loudest sound so if i need new pipes also?
S&S makes a 124" for softails. They also have a 143" for touring, not sure if it's available for softails. If all you are after is volume a set of loud pipes would be much cheaper than a new engine (motors are electric).
Slap in some cams and have the heads milled and ported to match the cams. The added compression along with the extra air supplied to the engine by higher lift and longer duration cams will also deepen and add volume to the exhaust note....also cheaper than a new engine.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

High compression, big cams, headwork with a good pipe will give you some nasty *** bark and a mean idle. Along with a bunch more power.
Jack

Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

check out RB Racing - google it- look at their Orca motors. up to 143" I believe. add turbo if you want. sky's the limit. set your own land speed records
BTW depending on what motor and the rated output, you may need a new transmission (baker), drive belt and pulleys, primary, clutch and associated. maybe some frame reinforcing along with suspension. what the hell it's only money. ;p

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-30-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

If 1 big one isnt enough?

Why not put 4 engines in one bike.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 PM
-SD-
Novice

Originally Posted by FLS103
S&S makes a 124" for softails. They also have a 143" for touring, not sure if it's available for softails. If all you are after is volume a set of loud pipes would be much cheaper than a new engine (motors are electric).
Slap in some cams and have the heads milled and ported to match the cams. The added compression along with the extra air supplied to the engine by higher lift and longer duration cams will also deepen and add volume to the exhaust note....also cheaper than a new engine.
So is my 103 good enough as the base engine or should i get the 124 then do all that other stuff you mentioned?
will all that mean my bike is in the shop for repairs all the time?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

So is my 103 good enough as the base engine or should i get the 124 then do all that other stuff you mentioned?
Plenty of strong running and dependable 96" and 103" bikes out there. Whether or not it's "good enough" is up to the individual. Like LA Dog said..."the sky is the limit". Or as in my case the $$ is the limit. Frank Drago at Dragos Bike Works builds some bad *** turbo bikes too.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the S&S 124" Hot Setup Kit that is stock (640 cams, 10.8 cr) and that is a reliable engine for the street. What exactly are your riding goals? Right now it just sounds like you want to be able to say "I have a 124" Harley".

Issues start when people who don't know what they want start throwing in bigger cams, bumping up the compression, oversized throttle bodies & injectors, etc. while trying to get Internet breaking numbers on the dyno.

As mentioned above, there is also the need to upgrade a lot more than just dropping in a motor. If you don't, you will not only be a waste of an engine, the bike will be in the shop more than it will be on the road.

If I had to do it all over again, I would of just kept the bike 100% stock instead of having the 95" big bore kit installed before delivery (root of all engine issues due to poor installation) and bought a couple of sportbikes.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 AM
-SD-
Novice

Honestly I just want it to cause an earthquake when fired up
I dont care about dyno numbers I just didnt know if I needed to go with more cubes with a good set of pipes, or stay with the 103 and have to do a bunch of mods to it, or both? Whatever makes the beast sound come out more
I have money for either way but I dont want to have to keep going to the shop after its all done. I dont race it or anything like that, just a casual rider, barhopper type.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly I just want it to cause an earthquake when fired up
I dont care about dyno numbers I just didnt know if I needed to go with more cubes with a good set of pipes, or stay with the 103 and have to do a bunch of mods to it, or both? Whatever makes the beast sound come out more
I have money for either way but I dont want to have to keep going to the shop after its all done. I dont race it or anything like that, just a casual rider, barhopper type.
Going by your questions.... this sounds like it's your first bike. I don't think you should do anything drastic to that engine because I don't think you are mechanically inclined to do the repairs that may be needed or the tuning required. If all you want is an ear-drum popper..... put on straight-pipes or remove all the baffles out of your exhaust. Heck, you don't even need a new intake for that.

Quick Reply: Biggest motor?