Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife Threw a Curveball... ???'s about Deluxe v. Heritage v. Slim-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Wife Threw a Curveball... ???'s about Deluxe v. Heritage v. Slim-S

So, I'm going to be able to afford just about any bike I want in about a week and a half... I really want a Softail, something with big fat front tire. Been thinking I would buy an Evo, maybe a Heritage Springer. While out running around today, the wife and I dropped into a Stealership and I sat on a few bikes. The Heritage Classic, a Deluxe and a couple of Slims, including a couple of different S's.

She wants me to buy the Deluxe, they have one in white/turquoise that she absolutely loves and says is my style (she may not be too far off). I like it. I like it a lot.

I also like the idea of a few more cubic inches here and there... So, a Slim-S with the 110 is kind of appealing. She loves the Olive Denim paint and blacked out tins, etc. on those. I am not opposed to that color. I like the little bit lower seat. But, she's pushing for the Deluxe...

Then, there's the Heritage Springer. Similar to the Deluxe with windshield and bags I'd probably take off and handlebars I'd probably swap. But, cheaper. And, I do like the oval floorboards better. But, no cruise control. Oh, and did I mention, she's pushing for the Deluxe.

The reality is, I've been riding Shovels and Evos for a long time. I'm used to 76 and 80 inch motors... 103 is probably plenty. If I get a Slim, I'm gonna want the bigger motor, because... well, bigger motor, right? And, I'm gonna want to go even more bobber looking, shortening the rear fender. If I go with a Heritage, I'm gonna want whitewalls and she's gonna want me to get the white/turquoise paint. If I go with the Deluxe, I'm probably simply gonna swap out the floor boards and buy a swingarm bag.

I like the Tombstone light and shorter turn signals in back. I like the pullback bars. I like the little bit lower stance of the Deluxe (compared to the Classic).

What are some of the pros/cons of each bike in y'all's minds? Also, will I be as happy with a Twin Cam as I would be with an Evo? I hear guys talking about the vibration of the B motors.... Or, will I forget all about it because I have a new bike, with a warranty and peace of mind? LOL

I know, lots of questions... and some of you have probably read a few of my other posts, asking other silly questions. I'm usually not this indecisive, but I haven't paid any real attention to any of the new bike offerings for a long time. The last time I paid much attention was probably 1993, the year after I bought my '92. I haven't kept up at all. Been tyring to read to catch up, but it's tough to find anything not tainted by 'metric bias' or 'MoCo marketing'.

I do appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

John F.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

So...you're "going to be able to afford any bike you want" in a week and a half? Sucks to be you 😢

Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

If the wife is going to ride on the passenger seat, don't get the Slim. The Slim is already a small bike. I looked at them recently and despite looking good, I can't see myself riding one. Not even solo simply because it is a small bike. I am not Andre the Giant. I am an average guy but the bike seems too small.

The Deluxe is a good choice. But if you are looking at getting the most for the money, the Heritage is a the best value. It costs less than the Deluxe, comes with bags and windshield, and the handlebars are more comfortable than the Deluxe.

I love carbureted Evo's as you can tell by my signature. Very simple DIY friendly, sounds better than a fuel injected TC, huge knowledge base, indescribable cool factor, very easy on the wallet, etc. The Springer looks cool. Not really made anymore, so that is also cool. I think their ride quality is exaggerated and is not as good as what people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong. The ride quality is good, but it is not 100 times better than a regular fork setup. People are asking crazy high prices for Springers for bikes that would be priced half of that with a regular fork. Springers also require a more vigorous maintenance schedule than regular forks.

All things considered, I think the bike that would make you happiest is one you have not considered. Get the Fat Boy S. It's a bigger roomier bike than the Slim. It's got the 110" engine blacked out with virtually everything else blacked out as well. Is it worth the money? That is debatable but you do get a more custom bike with a bigger engine right from the get go. The Heritage is the better value though.

I think you would also be happy with an FXR from the mid 90's.

The following users liked this post:
Axis39 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Dont forget the Fatboy. Best option in my opinion.

Axis39 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Love my Fat Boy Lo! I have set every thing up to be removable. When the woman wants to go for a ride, I throw on her big comfy seat and back rest. Back to a bobber when done.

Axis39 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete3323
So...you're "going to be able to afford any bike you want" in a week and a half? Sucks to be you 😢
I know... But, somehow I'll suffer through! It's not a position I've found myself often in, in this life. I've struggled a lotta years... So, you're darn skippy I'm taking my freaking chance when I get it! LOL (And I'm not putting myself in financial ruin or the family in food stamps to do it!)

For the suggestions of a Fatboy.... When they first came out, I was kinda intrigued, but I'll be honest, my last bike had the solid wheels (I know they have some holes in them now) when I first bought it. I really couldn't get them off fast enough. I got pushed sideways enough in those first few months that I really was happy when I got them off of that bike. The idea of buying a brand new bike and swapping wheels again is just not one i want to worry about. That being said, I will give them a quick look, but doubt I'll lean that direction. I do appreciate that input!

My wife has decided she doesn't want to ride on the back of a bike any more... We are going to the Motorcycle Safety Class this weekend to get our licenses. (I figure after 35 years, I better get my crap together.... And with a brand new bike, comes insurance, etc... DMV, Insurance, their all linked via computers these days.... I really don't need the hassle).

But, with her wanting her license (and own bike), that brings the slim right back into the running....

Old 05-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Besides the wheels now having holes, they are a larger diameter now which makes it more stable.

To this day, I still don't believe the whole solid wheel catching wind thing. That argument is for another day though.

Fat Boy S is pretty sweet IMHO

Buy the wife a Slim and the Fat Boy S for yourself. Or a 90's carbureted Evo powered FXR for yourself.

My dad has his road King for sale but I don't think you want a road King.

Maybe it is different where you are but around here, new or used must be registered with DMV and all cars, bikes, etc. must have insurance regardless if new or used. The only difference is if you still owe on a vehicle, then the lender requires comprehensive/ collision which covers the vehicle they have the lien on whereas a vehicle that is not financed only requires minimum liability insurance by the state.

Last edited by Prot; 05-07-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Misbehaven (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I wouldn't buy a bike now based on the assumption that your wife won't be riding 2up. What happens if she doesn't like riding? You have been all over the place trying to guess what will please both of you.
I would get what you want, or wait. Relying on your wife's desires is risky. Changing her mind is a woman's prerogative.

Axis39 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the Softail Forum. The Deluxe is the sweetest looking stock cruiser in the world but it also has less lean angle and suspension travel than the heritage. You will also have to pay extra for bags, windshield, sissy bar, and rider backrest if you are going to ride two up.

The Heritage comes ready to tour and ride two up; however it doesn't look as cool,stock as the other Softails you named. It does have the most lean angle and suspension travel and the stock mini apes are some of the most comfortable bars on any stock Harley. The stock seat is also one of the most comfortable; however the passenger pillion isn't very comfortable so you will have to replace that.

The slim S is the coolest most powerful bobber Harley has ever come out with. It has the blacked out treatment and the olive army color is an instant classic. The resale value on the slim s will will probably be the best out of all the new Harley Softails.

The springer heritage softail is the coolest, boss, awesome, sweetest cruiser ever made period. I've never owned a springer but you can be sure that if Harley ever comes out with another I'll be all over it. The Springer is the perfect merger between the past and the present.

Softails in general is an expression of the rider. Ultimately it is up to you to choose which bikes fits you and your wife best. Good luck and let us know what you choose

Axis39 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not that it is all that important but I'm confused... If she wants her own bike are we talking about her bike or your bike... or two bikes...?

Anyway, these are all the same basic bike save the slightly higher rear suspension on the Classic and the 110 on the S it is all ergonomic / cosmetic right?

I'd say Deluxe myself, but I also like the floorboards that come on it better than the rounded ones on the Slim and Heritage.

I think the B motor in a softail is very smooth, but most dealers will let you test ride (with a license) so give it a try.

Axis39 (05-07-2016)

Quick Reply: Wife Threw a Curveball... ???'s about Deluxe v. Heritage v. Slim-S