Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush Slip-On Change On My Heritage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
I have Rush 1.75 slip on's on my bike. I currently have about 42K on the bike and I put the slip-on's on not long after I got the bike so maybe 2K. It has gotten a bit louder over time and the Harley growl is well pronounced. Mine and the wife's boots has taken a toll on how they look so I have been considering replacing them but I'm not sure with what yet.
Thanks Bill!
Let us know what you get to replace them.
Phil
PS...Thanks for your military service as well

Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jackafrica
I've been running Rush slip-ons with the 1.75" baffles and find them to be quite loud, with a real "crack" to them under load.
This is on a 117 engine with cams, etc.

They were never quiet, even when new. I like the sound and it seems the performance on the butt dyno is more than adequate.

If you feel they sound right, use them, they're good pipes and so far you're only cost has been a set of baffles.
There are other materials available for wrapping baffles if you desire a quieter note.

Thank you Jack!

Phil

Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oct1949
I got my 2"ers at the 1K service,, now 9yrs later and with 53K I still really like them.. I have rewrapped them twice. when they've gotten louder,, you can tell when it's time..

I'll add even when they need rewrapped their will be about 75% of the old matting on the baffles.

If your baffles have None at all,, then IMO someone removed it

Also they have went to a two layer wrap install several yrs back that puts the overlaps at 180* to each other instead of just one overlapping piece of matting like they did when I got mine and now they should last longer..

The first two times they burned out,, it lost the matting was where they overlapped...

over all I am totally pleased with them.

Good to hear and thank you!

Phil

Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gpp
I have the 1.75 baffle without the packing and now it sounds like a Harley should.yes,it's loud but being old school that's the way I like them.
Thank you!!!
Phil

Old 05-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Default Installed the 1.75" Baffles!

Well, I installed the 1.75" baffles!

Pro's:
1. More actual back pressure and I can tell when riding it pulls a bit harder from a stop.
2. Not a raspy tone.
3. Still plenty loud under throttle.
4. A bit quieter when cruising.

Con's:
1. Not quite as deep a sound as the bigger baffle.

Overall, happy with the smaller baffle so far. Time will tell what happens when the fiberglass packing burns out. Still like the lower RPM torque that I can actually notice. (No, I am not dreaming this up).

Thanks again everyone!
Phil

Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Phil... the sound should get a little deeper and louder after a few K's,, not because they are burnt out or needs new matting.. it's just from wearing in..

On my 2''ers,, what I like about them is when just putting along they are Mild sounding,, but as stated they really sound off when you get on it and wind it out. and yes they will set off car alarms...

The following users liked this post:
Phil_R (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Len Turner
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sun's out! Fixin' to go see what they sound like...

Rush 3" slash downs w/ 1.75" baffles

Old 05-28-2016, 02:14 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_R
Thanks Atrox88. How many miles does it take do you think for the packing to burn out in your estimation?
Phil
PS.....Thank you for your military service to our country sir!!!
I've never completely burned a set out but, then again, I've never had any exhaust on any of my bikes for more than a year. Rush is my favorite slip-on because of the availability of baffle sizes to match modifications to a bike.
And thank you.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Len Turner
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Re: above
One word... LOUD! almost too loud to listen to all day at highway speeds, but it definitely sounds like a Harley. Not too bad around town if you don't go twistin' on it. Did pass one test; rode by 2 different state troopers, one standing on the roadside writing a ticket and passed the other on the 4-lane about 70 (speed limit). Neither one of them even looked at me. That was nice...

Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Len Turner
Re: above
One word... LOUD! almost too loud to listen to all day at highway speeds, but it definitely sounds like a Harley. Not too bad around town if you don't go twistin' on it. Did pass one test; rode by 2 different state troopers, one standing on the roadside writing a ticket and passed the other on the 4-lane about 70 (speed limit). Neither one of them even looked at me. That was nice...
Hi Len,
Yes, if you crank on them, they do get loud! I almost want to try the 1.50" baffles too, but I will wait until the 1.75" baffles carbon up a little to see if the sound changes. I wear a helmet all the time too so that cuts the sound a little. Not sure what the helmet laws are in Texas. I actually would wear a helmet anyway even if Tennessee didn't mandate you wear one. Are you going to stick with the 1.75" baffles or go to the quiet 1.50" baffle? I don't want to set off car alarms, however the teenage kid with the texting addiction needs to hear me coming since it is too inconvenient to bother them with paying attention to their driving.....! The cell companies could disable texting with their GPS when it detects movement above a certain speed, but the all mighty dollar keeps them from it....That is for another discussion though...
Be safe,
Phil

Quick Reply: Rush Slip-On Change On My Heritage!