Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Primary Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 AM
Quatakai
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Primary Removal Help

Hey everyone,

I'll make a quick statement here to make things somewhat easier to understand.

I bought this 1990 Springer the way it is a year ago, I'm tearing things down to rebuild them the way I want, hence the slight mess. I may not be able to answer questions 100% but I'll do my best.

The problem I'm having now is the primary casing/housing doesn't seem to want to come off. I'm not sure if I missed something or if I just need some more muscles, but at this point I'm afraid to pull anymore because I'm almost tipping the bike over on the bike stand, and have a slight panic feeling that I'm just missing something and not to break anything. The front part of the primary seems to want to come off, but the rear part near the clutch hub isn't budging.

Here are some pictures I took tonight, and hopefully one of you guys might have a good idea as to what I need to do to get this damn thing off...I'm only taking it off to fix a leak, after that the bike is ready to be put back together (major boogered up previous owner wiring issues).

Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

I would use a harmonic balancer puller here...once it moves it will probably pull right off.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Tap it with a dead blow hammer.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

They get tight. Pull hard. Or above^

Old 05-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

yeah dead blow and smack in different places. start with a decent hit where the starter goes. even use a short length of 2x4 or any size wood that will fit and give it a decent blow where the starter goes in from the right side of the bike

Last edited by Jersey Drew; 05-29-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Quatakai
6th Gear

Nice, good advice...I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Sorry about the late reply all, workin night shifts sucks

Old 05-28-2016, 02:13 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

I wouldn't start with a decent hit but some light taps all around the perimeter of the inner primary from the same side. If that doesn't do it then progress to light taps from the other side as mentioned with a piece of wood. Only after easy taps fail would I work my way up to a decent hit. Before doing any of this work you way around the entire cover and be SURE you haven't missed a bolt. Also make sure starter gear is loose.

Last edited by turbotom1052; 05-28-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:31 AM
Quatakai
6th Gear

All bolts are out, at least every single one I can see, and every one I've seen in installation pdf's and videos, and so is the starter gear...Thing is still not budging at all, I've smacked it in places I would think would need loosening, but nothing is giving...I've tried a pry bar behind random parts...And the front end is still coming off, and would probably come off fine if the rear would give any.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:35 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatakai
All bolts are out, at least every single one I can see, and every one I've seen in installation pdf's and videos, and so is the starter gear...Thing is still not budging at all, I've smacked it in places I would think would need loosening, but nothing is giving...I've tried a pry bar behind random parts...And the front end is still coming off, and would probably come off fine if the rear would give any.
You're going to need a 2-point gear puller for the rear because of the race on the transmission shaft - that's usually what keeps the rear section from just pulling off. I had to pull my inner primary to replace the stator seal and that's what I had to do.

The following users liked this post:
Quatakai (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 AM
Quatakai
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FurryOne
You're going to need a 2-point gear puller for the rear because of the race on the transmission shaft - that's usually what keeps the rear section from just pulling off. I had to pull my inner primary to replace the stator seal and that's what I had to do.
Awesome...And yeah I had this idea, tried it, but the bolts I have are too short...Hopefully stores are open today for a little bit so I can get longer ones. Have a good Memorial Day! I'll post results when I get them!

Quick Reply: Open Primary Removal Help