Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to do an OEM HD Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:27 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
So basically slip-ons to the stock pipes, and HD A/C and flash. I will talk to the dealer about the superpro tuner.

Thanks! I've learned a fair amount in this thread.

For the record, the guys at my dealer sometimes recommend third party stuff -- they are very honest about that because they are all HD riders and enthusiasts themselves. But I do not want to tie myself to an Indie shop at least at present.
I have a dealer like this too, I am dropping my bike off today for the first service, which will include, header, pipes, tuner and filter along with some dyno time.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it possible to do an all-HD stage 1 or is it necessary to go outside of HD to do so, i.e. to a good Indie shop? I have my Fat Boy exactly the way I want it now excepting that I have done nothing to the engine and I have the original exhaust.

Is about all the dealer will do is add a cooler and slip-ons, and tweak the chip, or how does that work? I love my HD dealer and I am reluctant to take my bike outside of that.

Comments?
Sure the dealer can do it. Good for you having the deep pockets to let a Cali Harley dealer do it. After market would give you better power and leave more $ in your Wally 😎 IMHO.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

The Harley Stage One ECM Download doesn't get much respect on HDF. But that's what's on my 2003 FLHTCUI. I don't have any problems with it. When I had my SE Tensioner Upgrade done , I could have easily changed Cams, but I like the way my bike runs so I just left it alone.

I found a good Indy , which is convenient for me because my dealer is 80 mies away. But I had a few bad ones, before I found this one.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So basically slip-ons to the stock pipes, and HD A/C and flash. I will talk to the dealer about the superpro tuner.
I went with the HD Service to tune mine. I put on the AC, and Rush slip-ons, I bought the Super tune (they sell 2, 1 for tuning at deraler and home, and 1 only used by certified HD technicians so you can't do anything with that one at home) so they could do a custom tune. The download flash is okay but tuned to fit 80% of the rides. A custom tune tunes specifically to your motor capabilities. An engine SN 1 and SN 2 will have different variables through dimensional variances, So though a flash is close, it is not specific.

For me it was night and day and well worth the cost, (12 ftlbs on the first tune 4 ftlbs more on the second) total of 16 ft lbs torque improvement. I had to go for a different tune to take out pinging once I rode in the heat of summer, but that is another story.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

More great info, folks. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

From everything I've heard the dealer stage 1 flash is nothing more than a remap of the spark tables. Fuel injected Harleys are ALREADY set up lean from the factory. You need to get more fuel to the engine. My understanding is that any dealership that ads more fuel to a bikes tune is breaking the law. You decide.... do you think a dealership is going to take the risks associated with breaking federal law to get your bike running right? To the guys that say that they like their stage 1 dealer flash, I will ask this.... Compared to what??? Ride a comparably equipped bike with a full remapping thats been done right and then tell us how fine it runs!!!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

To the OP who admirably admits his mechanical limitations. Just go and Hand it over to the dealer. If they recommend aftermarket parts I'm sure they will be ones they sell. If I was you from the comments you made about your not wanting to turn any wrenches then don't bring a tuner home with you. Have the dealer deal with that.

Now if you are adamant about HD parts only tell them that, they will also do that.

Have them do their thing and since the relationship you mentioned is so good they should make it all work out.