Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Gave it a Good Chance...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default I Gave it a Good Chance...

I've had all I can takes and I can't takes no more!
Six months ago, I bought a Corbin solo saddle with a backrest for my '06 Deluxe. I had just got the bike put back together from having the tank & fenders painted. I wanted to get the stock seat recovered since it was well worn, But it seems that December/January is peak seat fixin' season. It would take several weeks. I'm patient, but not THAT patient. So, I bought the Corbin.
They said it was firm and to give it some time and it will "break in."
Brothers, I'm here to say it is FIRM for my boney little a$$. Six months and nearly 4000 miles down the road, and I still get saddle sore after 5-6 hours. Maybe if I weighed more (I'm at 165lbs) and, I had enough padding of my own I could get used to it.

There's a guy local to me that specializes in motorcycle seats. Rocky's Saddlebags (http://rockybags.com). The guy does incredible work. I explained the situation, and he'll be rebuilding the stock seat. I have an appointment August 1. He'll need the bike for a week to precisely fit the saddle not only to the bike, but to me too. I'll come out after the foam has been initially shaped and adjustments will be made before the cover is made.

In the meantime, I'll keep on ridin' with the Corbin, and after the stock seat is redone and back on, I reckon the Corbin will have to find a new home.
Kinda sad because I like the way the Corbin looks, and I really like the built in backrest. But I have a Grasshopper backrest to use with the stock seat, and that will get a matching cover as well as the tank bib. looking forward to getting it done. My hope is that will extend the time I can stay on the bike for those long road trips

The Corbin seat....

Old 06-25-2016, 07:50 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

i gotta mustang seat.. I was told give it 5-600 miles..
didn't change anything atall. it's firm, minimum..
It's ok i guess
Still, i might have it rebuilt with memory gel.
at the end of 150 miles or so, i need a good walk about.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Ever tried a Heritage seat? Most comfortable seat I've ever tried. Your going with studs so maybe it would work for you.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Great looking bike Mike! Too bad about the seat. I just bought a Ultimate with backrest and really like it. I had one on my last bike and I could ride for several hours without a problem.

BTW what is the exhaust system on your bike is that a D&D?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Mike, I think anyone's *** would get sore after 5-6 hours in the saddle. You tried the Corbin... it failed. Have you considered putting on about 30-40 pounds. Maybe the Corbin would be more comfortable?

At least you have a plan.

Nice scenery. Great looking bike.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Beautiful bike Mike. Love it.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:04 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Other than the fact that Corbin made mine a bit wider than I'da liked. The firmness eventually gave in. Love mine and when my feet are on the footboards, the wideness isn't an issue.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Great looking bike Mike! Too bad about the seat. I just bought a Ultimate with backrest and really like it. I had one on my last bike and I could ride for several hours without a problem.

BTW what is the exhaust system on your bike is that a D&D?
Thanks Mr Softy!

The exhaust is part Rhinehart, and part "Mike Built"
Mike built from the collector back. The muffler is a standard automotive glasspack inside a 4" chrome tip for a truck. Nice sound, low and mellow, and barks a bit when the throttle is cranked

Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Ever tried a Heritage seat? Most comfortable seat I've ever tried. Your going with studs so maybe it would work for you.
I'd imagine the Deluxe and Heritage seats are pretty much the same. My stock Deluxe seat was very comfortable. I had a couple road trips that were all day affairs (10 hours plus, with breaks of course) and it was good all day. Most comfortable seat I've ever had. That's the one that will get the rework.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:44 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Mike,

I always admire your bikes.

If you have a buddy that is in the 250 pound range, you can try loaning the seat to him for a while to break it in.

Alternatively you can wear depends when you go riding that way you will have extra padding. Plus it will give you additional protection in case of an accident, regardless if the accident is a collision or a close call or if you are riding somewhere and can't find a restroom.

I have a long funny story about not finding a restroom by the way.

Last edited by Prot; 06-26-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply: I Gave it a Good Chance...