Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Dying!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
grasman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Dying!!!

Anyone out there with an 07 any model having problems with their battery discharging? I took the bike out for a ride a week ago. 5 days later I went to start it and nothing... no lights no anything. Hooked upthe battery tender overnight andit showed a steady greenlight-fully charged-or so I thought. Turn the switch on, had lights but barely turned over. Hookeda regular battery charger up, after an hour, although a little sluggish to start, it finally did. Rode around a little. This morning she fired right up.

Now here are some specifics: I have two voltmeters on the bike-I know how stupid and why. OK, the answer is I have a Kuryaken LED Fuel/Voltmeter, andinstalled the Thunder Max digital speedo, which has a voltmeter as well. The Kuryaken voltmeter shows it to be overcharging at 3000 rpm or higher- lower rpm and idle it shows normalcharging at about 14 volts. The T/M voltmeter showscharging of anywhere between 13.8to 14.2 at any rpm. I also hooked up a hand held voltmeter andboth had the same reading,anywhere from 13.8 to 14.2. Could it be as simple as a bad battery not holding the charge after a few days? Whywould the Kuryaken guage be showing an overcharging condition? Since I am not an electrical wizard, I have no answers for this condition. Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance
Jack

Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Battery Dying!!!

Sounds a little like there may be a bad or marginal cell. Or less likely, but possibly abad connection at the battery terminals or one of the battery lines to the bike.
The gauge is probably not saying its overcharging as much as its warning you that the battery is demanding a higher than normal charge rate, indicating one of the above conditions is present.
If its still under warrenty I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to test it for a bad battery. Odds are they will find that the battery is bad or going bad.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

'07, warranty. If it does it again, take it to the dealer.

Mounted gauges are generally cheap and inaccurate.

If your hand-held meter has a DC ammeter, hook it up to the battery, with ignition/everything off. See what the draw is.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me last weekend!

the week before I had the bike out for a ride. last saturday I was getting ready to go for another ride and the battery was totally dead, I charged it all day with my regular battery charger from 10:00am to 4:00pm and the only time it had enough juice to start the bike was around 4:00!
I went for a short ride after than and when I got back I put it on the battery tender overnight, it's saying that it's fully charged but it still cranks a little slower than it used to.

I'm taking a ride to the dealer for my 1000 mi service this week, I'm going tohave them check the battery also.[:-]

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem here. Bike's been sittin for three weeks without the tender hooked up. She fired right up this morning....

Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

been riding too much the past month, but since I been sick.. going on 4 days now I have had a battery tender on her..so im sure shes doing fine... almost done being sick

Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
grasman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Citoriplus, That's what I'm thinking now as well. I was talking to a friend last night, and he said a few people he knows with 07's have had some battery issues as well. I'm calling the dealer today to discuss the problem.

Duece, Nothing worse than getting ready for a ride,turning the switch and nothing.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Jack

Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Pops28
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. All of the sudeden, after a ride... CLICK!

I jumped it and went for another 45 minutes, got home and ... CLICK!

14 volts @ the battery when running, must be the battery! it's an '07 so lets do a warranty job!

So i took the battery to the dealer andthey said the old one was perfect and they wouldn't warranty it, so I just got pissed off and bought a new one, figured the argument wasn't worth $100 and I wanted to get out and ride.

so fa so good, 2 weeks later and several hundred miles. but I notice it's notcranking as fastas it used to.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that your terminals aren't shorting out on the frame. It is a problem on some bikes and can even cause a fire, might be why it's discharging.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

Make sure that your terminals aren't shorting out on the frame. It is a problem on some bikes and can even cause a fire, might be why it's discharging.
that was the first thing I checked, as far as I can tell, it looks good.

Quick Reply: Battery Dying!!!