Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Ride Thoughts - Breakout/Fatboy/Slim S

Old 07-04-2016, 12:12 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by sharparte
I get that. The dead set truth is that I purchased the 48 without even a test ride. I just new it would be right for a season but I wasn't thinking that the season would be a bit short. I love it. Especially how it handles and looks. Just wish it had more grunt and the Slim S with the 110 was a great ride.

I like what you say about the Fat Bob. Hadn't thought or even looked at this model. I assume it has the 103.
I ride a Breakout. Yep, it has the 103B with S2 upgrade.

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-04-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I have owned at least two of every family of HD motorcycles except the VRod. One thing about the Softails is that they feel like they handle better than they actually do. I feel more in control on a Softail. Sure, in reality you can and will scrape the floorboards easily. But if you are riding normally, like a cruiser is designed to do, they feel very stable and the low ride height gives you the sensation of being more in control of the bike. Its more of a perception that reality but none the less it is there. My wife has a Fatboy and I have a Slim. I can tell you that the Slim handles better due to the much smaller rear tire. Although they are both Softails, and thus very similar, I would never trade the Slim for a Fatboy. It just fits and handles better for me. If you buy a Slim you will have to change the seat as it is comfortable for 45 minutes at best. One thing I have never liked about the Dyna's is that they are the worst vibrating of the HD bikes. Much worse than the touring bikes due to the difference in the motor mounts. Just something to consider as it can get tiring after awhile. Another thing to consider is that you are a pretty good sized fellow. The Softail, with it floorboards, is going to give you more room to stretch out. The Dyna will not feel much different than the Sportster. Don't know if any of this helps. Just throwing out a few observations based on my experience with the different models. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM
softailslim87
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 2014 48 with a springer seat and a bunch of custom parts. Just upgraded to a Softail Slim because the price was right. I love the softer suspension, longer fuel range, and smoother engine. The stock seat is sorely lacking for me. I can only ride about an hour at a time on it. The Softail Slim is essentially a bigger 48 if you compare the looks.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 AM
sharparte
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, I'm away wheeling on the south coast of Oz. Internet is dodgy. Wheeled up a bloody big hill and got some service. I'm loving the convo but can't fully respond until I get some solid satellite connection.

I couldn't fit the 48 on the back of the TJ so it had to stay home.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

One thing I have never liked about the Dyna's is that they are the worst vibrating of the HD bikes.
This has been my experience also. I've had a Rushmore RG, Nighter still have the Low Rider and Slim S. The Dyna vibrated the worst..cool if you like that.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Gsoul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by softailslim87
The Softail Slim is essentially a bigger 48 if you compare the looks.
My slim has been mistaken for one by someone giving me compliments at a traffic light.

I really like the 48 Sharp. My first bike was a used Suzuki 1990 GS550E. I kept it for few years and bought a Triumph Adventurer with a 3 cyl 800 in it. 3rd bike was finally a harley....I envy your choices over mine.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:04 AM
sharparte
Intermediate
Default Further Option

Thanks to thoughts and replies. Been busy with life and getting back into getting this sorted. The 2016 Softail Slim S is looking the go BUT I have seen just last week at the dealer a mint 2007 Springer Classic in black. OMG this bike is cool. Riding it this week. 48 going in for 1600km service this week.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

If you get a chance, try out the Low Rider S. It's the hottest of the Dyna family and probably the whole S line. And for grins a Night Rod might be worth a whirl. I've got a Sportster (solid mount) and a Heritage, and the sportster will outrun the Softail every time. However, the Softail is 10x more comfortable

Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 AM
sharparte
Intermediate
Default 2006 Springer Classic

Well you'' likely think I'm crazy but I went to the dealer on the weekend and saw this recently traded 2006 Springer Classic with 8k km's (5k miles). Simply put I was struck by it's cool beauty.

Was having my 1600km 48 serviced. While picking it up I did a test ride of the Springer and it was a very surprizing positive experience. Obviously heavy compared to my 48 but it felt great. The view when riding over the bars of the light and springs was great. A little high in the seat though.

It's a 6 speed. Is is 1450cc or the larger 1580? the dealer is not sure.

I'm doing a side by side ride of the Springer and a Slim tomorrow. A complete contrast but you never know. The Springer is cheaper!

2006/12 Springer Classic 4.5k miles. Vance n Hines dual fish tails

Slim S looks a little plain in comparison!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

2006 is an 88" 1450 5 speed from the factory.

Frame is the same from the Slim to that springer. Slim will be lower.

Springer will turn more heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test Ride Thoughts - Breakout/Fatboy/Slim S