Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?!?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you are able to take about $2000 off of the asking price, this doesn't seem like a great deal. The used market is flooded with late model bikes with less than 10,000mi for cheap.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Pretty sure Harley had a problem with the 2005 FLSTC valve seals leaking. I don't think there was ever a recall though.........
I'd check this out before I bought.
I had my '05 valve seals replaced without cost.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:37 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the bike stock? If so it seems a bit high to me as well. As others have said you can pretty much plan on new tires, battery and a service. I would not ride on 10 year old tires even if they look new or in good condition. I've been doing some research into the Dot code on Tires and the service life of a tire for an upcoming part at a chapter meeting. Manufacturers are split between 5 years and 10 years being the max a tire is good for. The manufacturers who have had issues in the past tend to say 5 while the ones who haven't had recent issues tend to say 10 with yearly inspections after 5. If you change out the tires your self you can probably figure around $350 for the tires, tubes, and rim band. If you don't then you have the labor to also consider. Then add in the cost of a battery and a service so you will probably be talking around 1K or more.

If the seller is willing to drop the price about 2 - 3K. I would say it would be worth the risk.

I know the 05 Sportster had a problem with the valve seals on the rear jug. I had one. I don't remember the Heritage having the same issue but I might be wrong.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mentioned that you would change a few things on the bike. Are you considering the bike solely because of the low mileage and the fact that it was unmolested? (Which leaves a nice starting point for a build)
I myself wouldn't want a bike that has been sitting that long. Regardless if it's high or low miles. However, if it were my dream bike I would feel differently. Is it your dream bike?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Flyingtexan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about all the posts with paranoia about the age of the bike and the low miles. It was kept inside and it sounds as if the inspection looks good get it. I just bought a 2005 Night Train with 2900 miles on and have been riding, modifying and having fun with it. It's practically brand new, bike was stored inside his house, not a blemish or scratch on it. Purchased it for $8500, guy was asking 10K. Looks and rides like all my other Night Trains (this is my 3rd) flawless bike. I changed all the fluids to Amsoil, and am about to finish that with a fork oil change when I lower the bike. The only difference would be that the bike didn't sit for years, it was ridden and exercised.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 AM
J-S
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingtexan
The only difference would be that the bike didn't sit for years, it was ridden and exercised.

And to me that is a huge difference and that's where all the "paranoia" is coming from

Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingtexan
Not sure about all the posts with paranoia about the age of the bike and the low miles. It was kept inside and it sounds as if the inspection looks good get it. I just bought a 2005 Night Train with 2900 miles on and have been riding, modifying and having fun with it. It's practically brand new, bike was stored inside his house, not a blemish or scratch on it. Purchased it for $8500, guy was asking 10K. Looks and rides like all my other Night Trains (this is my 3rd) flawless bike. I changed all the fluids to Amsoil, and am about to finish that with a fork oil change when I lower the bike. The only difference would be that the bike didn't sit for years, it was ridden and exercised.
Originally Posted by J-S
And to me that is a huge difference and that's where all the "paranoia" is coming from
Exactly! The bike DID sit for almost 10 years and was NOT ridden or exercised. As described to me, the bike was essentially a novel office decoration [like the "founders" bike in the Sons of Anarchy clubhouse, for those fans of the show].

Current status is: the seller is holding firm at his price, I'm waiting for the price to be commensurate with the age. Thanks to all for the advice thus far.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought and parked my 2nd bike out in my garage. You only live once Dude and I don't know bout you, or anyone else, but I worked long and hard and I have been through hell and back in my lifetime. I'm now retired and I love where I am in life.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1469714763

Attached Thumbnails What to do?!?-20160725_233418-1-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only concern at this point would be tires and price. Sitting isn't good, but with an 11 year old bike that was ridden regularly you could have issues as well. Whenever you buy a used bike/car/house, whatever, you should reasonably expect to have an issue at some point. The price is wayyyy to high in my opinion. I'm thinking 6500-7000 tops. And I would put new tires on it immediately.