Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do?!?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts
Default What to do?!?

I'm sure this will be one of those threads where there will be x number of replies - each one different from the next. I suppose subconsciously I'm looking to be talked out of this deal; yet I feel to let this go will be a missed opportunity I will later regret. Here's some background:

I currently own a '14 Ultra Limited which serves all my purposes. This bike will not be replaced, merely gain a sibling. I ride primarily 2-up with my wife. I'd estimate 2-up vs. 1-up is about 70%/30%. I'm located in the northeast - so my riding season is abbreviated; however I will ride during the winter if there is a mild day without ice on the roads.

Here's the dilemma:

I've "stumbled" across a 2005 Heritage Softail CLASSIC with 2,300 miles [not a typo]. The alleged history is that the owner was injured 1st year after purchase and the bike was stored in his "climate controlled office" ever since. The bike is indeed "like new". The seller is certainly not giving the bike away - he's asking almost $9,500. Clearly, the price is based on mileage and condition, not age.

If I was to build this bike from scratch, there are a few things I would change, but nothing is a deal-breaker. Ironically, while most potential buyers struggle with the problem of "too many miles", my concern is the lack of mileage. The bike fired right up when I went to see it. [It's allegedly been kept on a trickle charger.] There were no evidence of leaks where the bike sat and idled. The tires [original evidently] did not appear to be dry-rotted. Still, my concern is what may have deteriorated internally. I doubt the bike was started regularly in the ten (10)+ years it sat. Even if it was started, I doubt it was run long enough to reach operating temps and certainly was not run "under load". This bike would be a want - not a need. I'm curious what you guys/gals would do. Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's "run away". Thanks.

Last edited by sailmotion; 07-20-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 AM
J-S
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

like you said my concern would also be the low mileage vs age of the bike and mostly because of the seals and all the rubberish stuff that can have dried up, like fork seals and shuch. But I never dealt with this issue so I might be totally wrong.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Standard run of the mill 2005 Heritage Classic with low miles and not a great knock me out of the water price.....

Lots of bikes out there.....

Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I really wouldn't be to worried about the seals being it was stored inside. If it where a boat or a motorhome I would run fast...seeing you started it up and there where no leaks I would say you are ok BUT I would schedule a 5000 mile service just to be safe..good luck and I think 9500.00 is about 1500.00-2000.00 to much. Good luck!!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

What's the KBB or Nada price on this bike?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
What's the KBB or Nada price on this bike?
7500.00 retail
5500.00 trade

Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the mileage be the only thing you consider. Low mileage on bikes over 10 years old isn't necessarily a good thing, it depends. At a minimum you will probably need tires (they do age) probably battery and then possibly seals in various places. Mechanical things need exercise just like people. If they sit around they don't always age well (I know....

Lots of low mileage bikes out there both old and new.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

I say that if you have $7k+ to part with understanding that you will likely have to kick in $1-2k more (tires, battery, routine maintenance, etc) then go for it.

Otherwise, as other have noted, there is an endless supply of good bikes out there for the money.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Pretty sure Harley had a problem with the 2005 FLSTC valve seals leaking. I don't think there was ever a recall though.........
I'd check this out before I bought.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:41 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Pretty sure Harley had a problem with the 2005 FLSTC valve seals leaking. I don't think there was ever a recall though.........
I'd check this out before I bought.
If anyone else has any info about this, it would be greatly appreciated. If the bikes started with an inherent problem, I can't imagine it got any better by sitting idle for 10 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do?!?