Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Works shocks on a Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:31 PM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone running Works shocks on a Breakout?

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie on here, just got my 2014 Breakout last week. I've already ordered the Ricor dampers and Racetech springs to do the front end. Bike was used and came with Night Dragons. So now onto the rear.

Bike is lowered, which I know is contributing to the issues, but the rear is crazy rough. I've read about the Progressive 422's, but very little about the Works shocks.

Yes I know about Shotgun, air ride is cool and all, just don't think thats the way I want to go.

So anyone riding with Works?

Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the Works on my Heritage, well made and very firm riding. I run them at stock height but they can be adjusted to lower the bike by quite a little.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:48 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

I went through two sets of Progressive 422's on my Heritage quickly then bought Works Performance light duty. Not only do they last, they can be rebuilt, plus they ride and handle a lot better than the Progressives. The progressives were no better than the old tired OEM shocks I had before and they leak and one even broke.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM
RadarRat
Advanced

Thanks for the reply guys. So I'm looking for a firm ride but one that can handle rebound a lot better. Not much 2 up riding but, on occasion. Do you find that you are adjusting your works shocks for the 2 up or can they handle it ok?

Last edited by RadarRat; 07-24-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Prot
Club Member

I always ride solo. On top of that, I have never had anyone on the back of my Heritage.

Is your passenger 95 pounds or 450 pounds?

Last edited by Prot; 07-24-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
RadarRat
Advanced

Wife is 130lbs. I'll mostly take my kids for mini rides though, but they both are under 60lbs. Just wondering if it would be horrible if me and the wife go for a ride. It is now.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:42 AM
Prot
Club Member

Since the bike is lowered, you are losing suspension travel. That is the prime culprit. You need to return to stock height. I never understood reducing suspension travel on a bike that already doesn't have much to begin with.

Return both the front and rear end to stock height. Progressive stock height springs in the front and Works Performance Light Duty in the rear, set to stock height.

Check your tire pressure as well.

Are the tires normal size or did they put on some rubber band tires or some ridiculous sized wheels?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you plan in changing the front suspension, let Works know what you plan as that will determine if you get light or heavy duty shocks. I didn't and had to exchange shocks, kind of a nuisance r and r'ing. Or go with Work's suggestion for a front and rear set up. Smart folk over there.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 PM
RadarRat
Advanced

Tires are normal size(well the front is now the correct size). Pressure is 36 in the rear to help give a softer ride.

I know most of the issue is the lowering, hence the question on the shocks. I know some say Progressive is to stiff of a ride and not very well sorted. That's why I'm trying to get opinions on Works shocks.

Tommy- Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to let them know what setup I'm running on the front. What was the difference in riding terms between the two setups you ran?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Prot
Club Member

Maybe Works will offer or at least recommend an appropriate product for your front end.

Post a picture of your bike when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Works shocks on a Breakout?