Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade for my Slim S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 AM
MARCUS 79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade for my Slim S

Hi Everyone.
Finally its time to upgrade my Military green Slim S and when ready I will definitely post pictures for you. So this is what I'm going to put on and would like to see if you have any suggestion on what to do or not. Or else if you had any bad experience on any of the parts I'm going to install.
This is a picture of how it looks today. Upgrade will be ready within a month as I still need to order parts.
Thanks in advance for your input

1. Exhaust..... Jeckyll and Hyde http://jekillandhyde.com/en_global/choose-dealer
or BSL Bomb Kevs Style http://shop.bsl.at/exhaust-systems/s...hield-polished

2. Wrap the exhausts. Any pros and cons about wrapping

3. Mustang rider and pillion wide tripper stitched seats in black

4. Top Hand Venture LO BOY sissy bar in black http://www.tophandventures.com/colle...cts/loboy-slim

5. Saddle bags preferably in brown https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...age=%21WW39656
or https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...?page=%2135877

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade for my Slim S-10606571_695436000592941_5780281965264198080_n.jpg  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

1. DrJekyll and Mr Hyde don't make an exhaust to fit on a Softail.
2. 1850 Euros for an exhaust? WOW!
3. Wrapping an 1850 Euro exhaust? I wouldn't.
4. The seats and sissybar would be okay.
5. Brown saddlebags when all the other accents on the bike are black? They'll stick out like a turd in a punchbowl!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:00 PM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

Their website says otherwise.

But really... You gonna spend that much???? And then cover them in wrapping???

Wow.

Can I have a fiver?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Really its down to what you like with regard to the listed items, however i would certainly not wrap the exhaust, its just going to trap the heat in & rot the pipes.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:39 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
Really its down to what you like with regard to the listed items, however i would certainly not wrap the exhaust, its just going to trap the heat in & rot the pipes.

Marco,

Paul is correct. Wrapping an exhaust is good for drag racing because it contains the heat for a more constant expansion between cylinders. But, drag racers don't drive for hours through many conditions, so they don't worry about the downside of the process.

Wrapping the exhaust on a Harley will add no noticeable gains to performance, but the downside is the extreme heat that gets contained in the metal and causes premature embrittlement, which leads to cracks. Also, any moisture remaining in the wrapping after cool down will promote corrosion, which also leads to cracks.

Chrome plating, ceramic coating and powder coating will mitigate some of the corrosion risk, but none will protect the metal from unnecessary heat in an exhaust that already gets very hot.

That BSL exhaust looks very cool, but as we say in my part of the US, "DAMN" that's an expensive exhaust. I suppose all the standard options are quite expensive in Malta anyway, so the difference probably isn't that much.

I can't speak for sissy bars. I don't care for them.

The brown bags would look good if all the other leather were brown. Mustang makes some seats in brown. The Mustang seats are good quality and usually comfortable.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 PM
RadarRat
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't agree with all the negative comments on here about the exhaust wrapping. There are pros and cons. Biggest is what you want to do it for and how much riding your going to do.

If it's an everyday right and just cruising around, then I wouldn't do it. If it's garaged most of the time and your looking for max performance, then go for it.

At the end of the day it's your bike. You do what's best for you and your taste.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
Their website says otherwise.

But really... You gonna spend that much???? And then cover them in wrapping???

Wow.

Can I have a fiver?
Which website are you referring to? Jekyll and Hyde doesn't show any pipes for Softails that I can find. CVO, Touring, Triglides, and Dynas yes but no Softails.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:09 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure where you're looking, but they show up for me:
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_global/choose-dealer

When you then click 'choose system' there's LOADS of options, dude.

Here's a screenshot...

Old 07-26-2016, 05:39 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

That's weird. All I get is shown in this screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade for my Slim S-photo885.jpg  
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

J&H makes exhausts for Softail, I just had them installed a few weeks ago and they're damned good, incredible sound and really good performance especially if you also buy headers. I just had dyno and J&H had a way better result than previous V&H Big Shots Staggered in particular on Torque.
Wrapping this exhaust would be a true sin in terms of look and, as other members already highlighted, even cause damages.
I add an info for our US brothers... Street Legal exhausts here in EU cost a true fortune...J&H full exhaust system cost way over €3000...just to say...

Quick Reply: Upgrade for my Slim S