Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Being a little price conscious when I bought my Slim earlier this Spring, I picked the FP3 over the PV. It was little impulsive. Had I thought about it a bit more, I might have gone with the PV. Maybe. But, I'm not unhappy with my purchase.

I have read a few folks reviews that seem to have a few added features. But, at the same time, the FP3 is hidden under the seat and I can program it with my phone. I don't need to mount anything to the handlebars (like the PV's screen).

I've got Bassani pipes on my bike and I'm happy with the auto-tune. I've done it a time or two as the weather has gone from decent to unbearably hot. Just to see if it would make any real difference.... It hasn't really, although I've added learned blocks each time... I ran a tank through on auto-tune each time.

I am saving bucks aside to buy one for my wife's stock Sportster 48. I'll be swapping pipes before too long... But, I think even a stock engine/exhaust/air cleaner setup can benefit form running a little cooler. I'll probably go with the FP3 again.

I am not looking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of my bikes... Just wanting them to run right. The PV does seem to have a few other features that if I was younger than I am now and fiddled and tweaked with my bikes, like I used to, I'd probably want. But, I like set it and forget it.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
I don't need to mount anything to the handlebars (like the PV's screen).
We are lucky to have many choices, at different price points.... People need to research and buy what does what they want, at a price they're willing to pay...

But for clarification only....... the PV doesn't need to be mounted to anything. I flash my bike, stick in a pocket when I'm auto tuning, then keep in a shelf until I need it again...

The following users liked this post:
Axis39 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Power Vision is a much bigger PITA to download maps IMHO. I have used FP3s on my last 4 bikes and it's the greatest thing since beer. VERY easy and user friendly, you can load quite a few maps, you can make changes even for cams, put a 585 in my TriGlide and the FP3 tuned it great for all the changes I made. Buy one, you will NOT be disappointed. It does NOT have to stay plugged in since it flashes the ECM, not an old fashioned piggyback device. You may choose to leave it plugged in for real time data.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Be aware that the FP3 is married to the bike. I'm not sure about the other tuners.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:07 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

Fp3 is great - works as advertised, costs about the same as the competition, but has way more features that are easily accessed via your smartphone (and you don't have to leave it plugged into the bike once it's done it's work).

Beats having to have a dealer do it for you and pay each time you want to change mapping.

It's child's play to do too. Lift the seat, plug it into your diagnostic port, launch the app and you're away.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
We are lucky to have many choices, at different price points.... People need to research and buy what does what they want, at a price they're willing to pay...

While FP3 may work as advertised, it does NOT! have way more features than other "Flash tuners" like Power Vision or TTS, none of which you need to leave plugged into your bike ...unless you want to also use the device as a display for some of the signals. On that score, the FP3 has way less signals to view than, for example, the Power Vision. And FP3 can not log data (they are working on that just now) There is no way to download and compare different maps or autotunes results if you are trying to fix something. And the only time you can do anything at all is with it connected to the bike and powered up.

Try to cut through the fanboy stuff and as hattitude suggested, read plenty of threads and go for which one you think will best fit your needs. It works fine, but maybe not quite the best thing since sliced bread (or beer ...steady on)

Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM
oldtime777
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FP3 easy to use and does the job if only used one time. it is worth it, runs better and cooler.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

(You don't need to leave the FP3 plugged in)

And because it's app/software-based, it can be updated with new functionality, so there's potential for it to improve as a tool over time.