Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for small windshield for Slim

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:03 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Looking for small windshield for Slim

If you have a small windshield you are happy with let me know. The only thing I have found so far is National Cycle Switchblade. Any others? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I borrowed a WindVest for a 1000 mile trip before I bought my Harley Davidson "quick detach" full size 'Shield and it performed well, keeping my arms from getting tired on long high speed sections. (I found mine on Craigslist).

It was a couple years before I bought my H/D 'shield so I can't make a fair comparison for performance and comfort vs the borrowed Windvest.

I was always interested in the "Gladiator shield" since it is VERY adjustable, lets air under under it to reduce turbulence, and I like the way it uses existing handlebar bolts rather than adding more hardware, but I have never seen the Gladiator in person. Links below:

I would like to try what Mike Lawless (post # 2228 did), he cut down a HD quick detach shield. Here is a link, he has some more info if you click on his threads:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post14437911

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/na.../part/NC-N2700

http://wind-vest.com/galleries.php

Check out how adjustable the Gladiator is,and how simple the mounting system:

Last edited by Jetfever; 07-29-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Careful which HD "Shield

On second thought:

The black HD Q/Detach "Shield I bought was for a Slim, black hardware and made to fit WITHOUT a light bar. It may or may not be adjustable to a wide mount if I added a light bar.

The Mike Lawless 'Shield was cut down from a Deluxe HD 'Shield and the mount would be wider, designed for a light bar...

Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks for the mention. The cut down windshield works perfectly for me. I was having way too much head buffeting with the full sized screen. I wear a full face helmet, so wind in the face is not a concern. If you wear a beanie or 3/4 helmet, you may not want to cut one down as far as I did on mine.So it may not work for all.

I really wish Dart would make a "FlyScreen" for a Softail. I think a lot of guys would go for that

The key I think is to experiment. If you can find a used QR windshield and hardware that fits your bike, you can try this "cut down" mod. Perhaps start with a used plastic that has scratches, cracks etc. Once you get the height and profile where you want it, then you can use that as a template to cut down the new plastic. A lot of times, you can get new ones on sale at places such as Long Ride.