Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for S&S E carb install tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM
ThrillKilla
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for S&S E carb install tips

Hey All,
Im putting the 95 Softail under the wrench tomorrow. Installing an S&S E carb on the girl.
Anything I should look for, watch for?
Ill be running all stock, but the ThunderHeader exhaust.
Im a first timer with removing the manifold, and re install.
I picked up the E Carb from J&P

Old 07-30-2016, 06:47 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

One thing I have a lot of experience with is tuning carbs. I do not intend this to sound snarky even though it might. But since you are asking for advice. In my opinion the stock Keihin carb is superior in every way to the S&S. Especially if you use Keihin jets and not a Dynojet or similar kit. You can get better fuel mileage, better throttle response, altitude adjustment and as much power with the stock carb. As far as install tips. Put some vasoline on the intake seals where they go into the flange and snug them down in an X pattern. If you dont have one of the special allen wrenches made for this purpose you might have to cut off an allen wrench to get to the intake bolts. Looking at the back of the intake on the left side make sure the gap ends up being the same on both sides between the intake flange and the head. If it is off you risk having an intake leak. It is hard to get them exact. The S&S carb will most likely be too rich out of the box and you will have to experiment with the jetting. If it is too rich your bike will not run as well as it could. Start with a 28-295 intermediate jet. a 70-72 main jet and 2 1/2 turns. When adjusting the throttle cables make sure the throttle blade is opening all the way but with no over travel. If I have forgotten something hopefully someone else will chime in.

Last edited by martin10; 07-30-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:05 AM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

Thanks for all the tips Martin! I actually have been doing lots of reading, and your reply confirms everything Ive read as far as the installation.
Ive already pulled the trigger on the S&S, but I guess this is my way to compare. worse case I go back to the stock carb. I dont mind playing in the garage, but do want a smooth runner.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

All I did was follow the S&S instructions (to the word) provided when I converted from MM EFI on my '98. Out of the box jetting was perfect with my true duals, otherwise stock motor. I did have to readjust my idle mixture after a few miles, I didn't have the bike warmed up enough when I did the initial adjustment.

Last edited by Lakerat; 07-30-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I have a Super E on my 02 Softail. It was already installed when I bought the bike 6 years ago and I haven't touched a thing on it since. It starts on the first crank whether hot or cold, I drop the choke in less than 5 seconds and it picks up a nice idle, rarely if ever stalls on the warm up. I guess the secret is getting it jetted/tuned correctly and the rest will fall in place. I've had a Super E on an FXR and an EVO Softail and have never had one issue with them.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:37 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
All I did was follow the S&S instructions (to the word) provided when I converted from MM EFI on my '98. Out of the box jetting was perfect with my true duals, otherwise stock motor. I did have to readjust my idle mixture after a few miles, I didn't have the bike warmed up enough when I did the initial adjustment.
LOVE that FXLR!! I had a 93 FXLR in vivid black and should never have sold it. That's a looker for sure, let me know if you want to sell it

The following users liked this post:
Lakerat (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
One thing I have a lot of experience with is tuning carbs. I do not intend this to sound snarky even though it might. But since you are asking for advice. In my opinion the stock Keihin carb is superior in every way to the S&S. Especially if you use Keihin jets and not a Dynojet or similar kit. You can get better fuel mileage, better throttle response, altitude adjustment and as much power with the stock carb. As far as install tips. Put some vasoline on the intake seals where they go into the flange and snug them down in an X pattern. If you dont have one of the special allen wrenches made for this purpose you might have to cut off an allen wrench to get to the intake bolts. Looking at the back of the intake on the left side make sure the gap ends up being the same on both sides between the intake flange and the head. If it is off you risk having an intake leak. It is hard to get them exact. The S&S carb will most likely be too rich out of the box and you will have to experiment with the jetting. If it is too rich your bike will not run as well as it could. Start with a 28-295 intermediate jet. a 70-72 main jet and 2 1/2 turns. When adjusting the throttle cables make sure the throttle blade is opening all the way but with no over travel. If I have forgotten something hopefully someone else will chime in.
Agree I've replaced 3 super E s on bikes with cvs. Then made a pretty penny selling the s&s carb. I have been looking for a SE cv 42mm for years on eBay. I see 45mm every once in awhile which would work good if I had better head and more ccs. The cv is as close to getting fuel injection as you can with a carb do to the constant velocity slide. Cvs make old ironheads feel so much better for daily driving and are easier to tune. With the stock cv you don't have the flow capacity but you get the air fuel mixture to be more consistent. Those mechanics that can do the wonderful work with s&s on the street are very talented. If your running a stock 88ci you might have issues at low Rpm and the stock heads flow less than the previous evo heads. You may get allittle more on top end but your low end and mid you may have issues with plugs and missing. Now if your drag racing everywhere and you holding Rpms of the line you may beet a stock tc88 and 96.

Last edited by hdpearson13; 07-30-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: For some reason I thought your bike was a tc95 but same still pertain except you have better heads for the job.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have trouble with manifolds bolts and nuts just hit end of bolt with torch for a few and replace them. Been there. Many times and allittle heat won't hurt them just only get the face of the stud and not around the heads at all.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
LOVE that FXLR!! I had a 93 FXLR in vivid black and should never have sold it. That's a looker for sure, let me know if you want to sell it
Thanks, and Thank You for your service!!!!
Took a long time for me to get that bike the way it is and can't imagine starting over. The paint was done by a dear friend of mine....most likely his last project, so that is irreplaceable.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:21 AM
ThrillKilla
Advanced

thanks for all the input guys! Got the old carb off, and and looked at the flanges. I have about a .040 bow in both.
Should I replace them? hit them in a press at the shop?
Also saw the need for a shorty end 1/4 allen. just had to grind one down and was back at it.

Quick Reply: Looking for S&S E carb install tips