Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Pro Pipe 2in1 Won't Seal

Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V&H Pro Pipe 2in1 Won't Seal

Anyone else have problems getting the Pro Pipe exhaust to seal correctly? I have tried every method and every gasket type out there, and the header going to the front jug just will not seal. Ticks at idle and I can hear some faint ticking under acceleration. Thinking the problem may be in the header pipe itself but thought I'd check and see if anyone else had any input.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRf1...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Bedore; 07-30-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What year? Do you have the correct pipe for your application? Did remove the old gasket before putting in the exhaust gasket? Could be a misalignment of the pipes. Did you fit everything together before tightening everything? Are the exhaust nuts tightened evenly?

Old 07-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
What year? Do you have the correct pipe for your application? Did remove the old gasket before putting in the exhaust gasket? Could be a misalignment of the pipes. Did you fit everything together before tightening everything? Are the exhaust nuts tightened evenly?
2016 Fat Boy. Correct pipes for the bike. I removed the old gaskets, everything was fitted loosely and I tightened everything from the front to the back. Exhaust flange nuts were tightened evenly and torqued per the factory service manual.

This is the third time I have had them off. I originally used the original tapered style gaskets which leaked. V&H sent me new gaskets which were thin and a lot like the Harley SE gaskets. They leaked really badly, so I switched them out today with the stainless steel Cometic gaskets which are supposed to be the best. Still leaking but not as bad as the flat V&H gaskets.

When I called V&H the second time around they said if their gaskets don't work they are going to recommend replacing the headpipes, so that may end up being the fix but wanted to check ahead of time to make sure it's not on my end before tearing it down again.

Last edited by Bedore; 07-30-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 501 Likes on 245 Posts

I'm thinking you got a bad set of head pipes. Sounds like you did everything the way it should be and I've installed dozens of pipes. I haven't been a fan of the SE style gaskets and have had problems getting them to seal, often went to OEM cone style. On the other hand, I just installed a Fuel Moto 2-1 on my Dyna and it came with SE style flat gaskets so I used them. I have installed ProPipes on several bikes, the latest being my 2015 RGS but no issues.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I'm thinking you got a bad set of head pipes. Sounds like you did everything the way it should be and I've installed dozens of pipes. I haven't been a fan of the SE style gaskets and have had problems getting them to seal, often went to OEM cone style. On the other hand, I just installed a Fuel Moto 2-1 on my Dyna and it came with SE style flat gaskets so I used them. I have installed ProPipes on several bikes, the latest being my 2015 RGS but no issues.
Well I was hoping I was skipping a step but the phone rep at V&H did mention a potential issue with the head pipes so it's possible. If the V&H flat type gaskets did not seal then they were going to send me new head pipes. I went a step further and tried the Cometic stainless gaskets after the flat ones failed to seal properly and they did seal better than the flat ones but it's still leaking.

I will place a call to V&H Monday and hope they can get new head pipes out to me. Thanks for the input.