Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Upper Triple Tree - Factory Defect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Breakout Upper Triple Tree - Factory Defect?

When I first bought my Breakout I was so thrilled with the bike that I didn't notice this. My left riser is ever-so-slightly forward of the right one.
It's not that noticeable at the triple tree but when sitting on the bike and riding in a straight line my reach is a bit farther on the left than right.
At first I thought it was the bars but I've since switched out the risers and bars and it's still the same. I believe the mounting holes in he triple tree are a bit off.
Has anyone else had this problem and is it a factory defect?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

take it apart and see if one of the bushings isn't smashed or incorrectly installed. it's a machined part so i can't see them drilling the hole wrong (stranger things have happened) so i am of the opinion the the bar is off due to a bad bushing or the tightening sequence. it's just two bolts to pull out and lay the entire handlebar assembly on the tank WITH A TOWEL!!! all you need is a 3/4 box wrench. when you reinstall use a dab of red locktite and torque to 35-40 ft/lbs.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:50 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser

Thanks Drew. When you said bushings are your referring to the ones in the triple tree? Please elaborate. I haven't looked at them very close but aren't they inserted into a rubber casing in the tree?
I've had the bars and risers off several times and have attempted to move and tighten them several ways to get them trued up, but no luck at all.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

they look like this...

Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser

That's what I thought you were referring to. I removed mine and they look flawless. Nothing looks bent or deformed in any way. Is there a possibility the the holes that these go in were bored out of parallel with each other?
The problem is pretty obvious if if you sit on the bike and line up the horizontal parts of the bar that goes through the risers with the triple tree. It doesn't look like much but when you get to the ends of the bars that little bit is multiplied many time over.

Last edited by Duke 13; 07-31-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

99% of the time your issue is the bushings. Poly ones ar harder and don't cause as many issues as the soft rubber ones. Yours may look okay but may have taken a set that will always return your bars to crooked. I would change yours to poly and I would bet they will hold the bars straight. Also, don't use red loctite on these, blue is recommended and plenty strong enough, it will allow you to get the bolts out easier next time you remove them....

Old 07-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
99% of the time your issue is the bushings. Poly ones ar harder and don't cause as many issues as the soft rubber ones. Yours may look okay but may have taken a set that will always return your bars to crooked. I would change yours to poly and I would bet they will hold the bars straight. Also, don't use red loctite on these, blue is recommended and plenty strong enough, it will allow you to get the bolts out easier next time you remove them....
I found some online. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll update as soon as I install and check the handlebar alignment.

Last edited by Duke 13; 07-31-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:14 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

In fact I do have a similar issue although it's hardly noticeable.....when the wheel is straight the speedo cup is not all the way centered with the tank/console centerline.

It's been like this from the beginning and neither changing risers nor swapping the stock bushing for the poly ones changed anything about it.

As it's really not affecting the riding at all I simply don't worry about it....

Old 08-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Duke 13
Cruiser

I wish I could say the same, but with the reach being a bit one on my left side it's bothering me.

Last edited by Duke 13; 08-01-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser

Well, I purchased some poly bushing assemblies from my Harley dealer and installed them. I'm happy to report the risers and handlebar alignment is nearly perfect.
The weather has been bad every day so I haven't been able to take pics but I will as soon as I'm home with some sunshine. Looks like that might be Friday.
Thanks to all of you for your input!

Last edited by Duke 13; 08-03-2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Breakout Upper Triple Tree - Factory Defect?