Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Softail cruise control

I installed my new cruise control a little more than a month ago and have been able to use it on a couple of occasions.

After months of research and looking I decided on the Motorcycle Cruise Control from MCCruise, an Australian company. This is not a cheap unit at a little over $750 but it is exactly what I was looking for, a true cruise control that looked fairly easy to install.

I emailed the guys at MCCruise to verify that I was ordering the correct items as I have a LED brake light on my 2012 Fatboy. They were very quick to let me know I did need an accessory part to adapt for the LED lights. I asked different question on several occasions and they were always quick to respond.

So I ordered the unit and received it in just a little over a week. All the parts were accounted for so it was time to begin. I am not a mechanic nor do I pretend to be one but I am comfortable with simple tasks and following directions. I have also removed my fuel tank a couple of times to run wires so I was comfortable with that. All total it probably took about 4 or 5 hours (although it was spread out over a full week). I followed the very accurate instruction and the install went fairly well. On two separate occasions I had a question or small issue at which time I emailed them a question. I was very surprised to get an email answer from them on Sunday morning (their time) with an answer to my first question and I actually got a phone call for my second question.

OK let me shorten this up.

This is an easy install if you're comfortable removing the tank, running wires and removing pins from the ECM connector (the only scary part for me). The instructions were very detailed and right on the mark. The support I got from Tony and Frank was absolutely excellent.

The MCCruise is fairly unnoticeable and works exactly like the unit in any automobile.
If you're looking for a cruise control for your 2011 - 2015 softail this is a unit worth looking at. They make cruise control for many other bike as well as some generic units.

Anyway I am very happy with my new cruise control and was extremely pleased with the service and support I got.

http://mccruise.com

Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Very cool. A good alternative to adding cruise.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have cruise on my Road King. I don't want to pretend it wasn't a selling point, but sitting on the showroom floor, I seriously doubted it would ever see much use. Man, I don't think I have EVER been more incorrect about a motorcycle accessory. I use it almost every time I ride, at one point or another. It's great that the aftermarket is stepping up with such an item for the Softails. It's also pathetic that the MOCO waited so long to install it on anything but their overpriced touring line. Kudos to you for a successful modification, and thanks for the great write up.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the right hand grip move as the bike changes speed with the cruise on?

Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
No. In fact you have to spin the throttle up to the point the cruise control is holding the bike, should you want to accelerate further.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
The servo motor connects directly to the throttle body (as does the throttle) so when you set the cruise it adjust the throttle body as necessary. You can feel the throttle move a little when it adjusts the speed but it's almost unnoticeable. With the cruise set you can still accelerate to pass or just to adjust your speed. When you release the throttle the cruise will decelerate to your original speed or you can set the cruise to your new speed.

The 2012 Fatboy is cable operated throttle.

Touching either the front or rear brake will disengage the cruise.

You can also use the ACC button to increase your speed or the DEC button to decrease your speed.

Works exactly like the cruise in my Ford. If your considering this cruise you can email the guys and ask for the installation instruction. They will be happy to send them to you. I reviewed them before ordering to make sure I was comfortable with it. You will also see how the throttle works.

Last edited by Warren9073; 08-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Looks like fun but way too spendy for me. I'll stick with the screw lock.