Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422s: Preload... huh!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsled
Just wondering, did you go with the 422 "HD", or the regular 422's?

I just mounted up some of the HD versions today. Going to start at minimal preload first.
I went with the regular version. I generally bounce between 200 - 220 lbs, and ride mostly solo, so I didn't need the HD version.

Cheers!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

The stealership is supposed to adjust the shocks on a softail when you buy it. Too many of them will sell you the bike and not say a word about it. Look in the owner's manual, it tells you how many turns to get the desired weight you want.

Otherwise, next time you do get them to replace a tire or work on something for you, tell them to adjust the shocks to your weight. Should be no charge if they already have it jacked.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 AM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
The stealership is supposed to adjust the shocks on a softail when you buy it. Too many of them will sell you the bike and not say a word about it. Look in the owner's manual, it tells you how many turns to get the desired weight you want.

Otherwise, next time you do get them to replace a tire or work on something for you, tell them to adjust the shocks to your weight. Should be no charge if they already have it jacked.
I don't trust them with anything...I'll handle it when I get home.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 AM
shredsled
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only weigh 160lb myself, and yeah, it does ride stiff with the HD spring rates when I am solo... but somewhat expected when I slammed it. Also, no worse of a ride than on some of the vintage bikes I have owned and ridden.

I'm still curious if anyone here knows the recommended weight at which Progressive says to go with the HD over the regulars...? Guess maybe I should have researched that more before I purchased and installed, haha! No regrets.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The handle on the Harley tool will hit the ground which is why you have to jack it up for clearance.

This tool makes it a lot easier to adjust since you can attach a ratchet and get a better angle on things allowing you to do it on the sidestand.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S...ad+tool+harley

Last edited by Mother; 08-24-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master

I only weigh 160lb myself, and yeah, it does ride stiff with the HD spring rates when I am solo... but somewhat expected when I slammed it. Also, no worse of a ride than on some of the vintage bikes I have owned and ridden.

I'm still curious if anyone here knows the recommended weight at which Progressive says to go with the HD over the regulars...? Guess maybe I should have researched that more before I purchased and installed, haha! No regrets.

Your owner's manual tells you the turns to make for desired rider weight. I would use that as a reference for the Progressives and adjust as needed from there.

I can't find anything in the Progressive installation that gives a hint as to the ratio of turns to rider weight.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 AM
shredsled
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mother
The handle on the Harley tool will hit the ground which is why you have to jack it up for clearance.

This tool makes it a lot easier to adjust since you can attach a ratchet and get a better angle on things allowing you to do it on the sidestand.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S...ad+tool+harley
Yeah, that tool is included with the 422 shocks.

Your owner's manual tells you the turns to make for desired rider weight. I would use that as a reference for the Progressives and adjust as needed from there.

I can't find anything in the Progressive installation that gives a hint as to the ratio of turns to rider weight.

What is in the manual isn't really going to relate to the stiffer spring rate.
Ideally it is set by measuring sag with rider in bike in riding position.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:08 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master

What is in the manual isn't really going to relate to the stiffer spring rate.
Ideally it is set by measuring sag with rider in bike in riding position.
No, it gives you a ballpark to start from. There is a reference E-clip on the Progressive. Use owner manual to get turns from the clip to desired preload stated in the manual. Ride it, see if it needs more or less from there.

The springs are different, but shouldn't be radically so.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice, I didn't know that they threw it in. I should have noted that it works on the factory shocks as well.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:43 AM
shredsled
Intermediate

No, it gives you a ballpark to start from. There is a reference E-clip on the Progressive. Use owner manual to get turns from the clip to desired preload stated in the manual. Ride it, see if it needs more or less from there.

The springs are different, but shouldn't be radically so.

Yeah, manual will explain basic concept, but not much else. I see your point though.

Proper baseline is to start with lowest preload setting, measure sag, then adjust as needed to achieve desired proper sag. Count your turns.

The e-clip is only to prevent lowering too far, or in worst case scenario; a loose mounting nut from completely falling off.
Has no effect on spring preload. It is located on the stud mount side for ride-height adjustment, not spring side.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422s: Preload... huh!