Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422s: Preload... huh!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM
shredsled
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Nice, I didn't know that they threw it in. I should have noted that it works on the factory shocks as well.

Yep, nice bonus on Progressives part. Many manufacturers would sell as a proprietary tool separately!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:57 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsled
Yeah, manual will explain basic concept, but not much else. I see your point though.

Proper baseline is to start with lowest preload setting, measure sag, then adjust as needed to achieve desired proper sag. Count your turns.

The e-clip is only to prevent lowering too far, or in worst case scenario; a loose mounting nut from completely falling off.
Has no effect on spring preload. It is located on the stud mount side for ride-height adjustment, not spring side.

When the adjustment nut reaches the E-clip you are at the maximum 2" adjustable range. The E-clip serves to keep you from going too far, yes, but it is also the marker for the maximum adjustment possible.

The number of turns for preload are measured from that point going forward.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM
shredsled
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
When the adjustment nut reaches the E-clip you are at the maximum 2" adjustable range. The E-clip serves to keep you from going too far, yes, but it is also the marker for the maximum adjustment possible.

The number of turns for preload are measured from that point going forward.

Somehow you've become misinformed on the function of each adjustment. I hope others are not mistakenly assuming the same.

The ride height (stud mount position) which is next to the e-clip, is completely independent of spring preload adjustment.
This is not an adjustment available on the factory Showa shocks, and I don't believe it is discussed in the Harley manual, just the Progressive instructions.
You can adjust your ride height fully max, or fully slammed, and your preload can remain the same.

While spring preload can effect ride height with the rider on it, called sag, it should not be used as a height adjustment, but rather a performance and comfort setting.

Last edited by shredsled; 08-24-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Have it your way, I'll tell Progressive you said their instructions are bullshit.

"This E-Clip is snapped into the groove near the end of the stud mount where the threads stop. This is to serve as a reference point only. - when the flanged-nut reaches it you have lowered your ride height the maximum 2 inches. Do not torque the flange nut against the E-clip."

Whatever, I don't have a horse here. My shocks went on just fine per the instructions.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 08-24-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM
shredsled
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Have it your way, I'll tell Progressive you said their instructions are bullshit.

"This E-Clip is snapped into the groove near the end of the stud mount where the threads stop. This is to serve as a reference point only. - when the flanged-nut reaches it you have lowered your ride height the maximum 2 inches. Do not torque the flange nut against the E-clip."

Whatever, I don't have a horse here. My shocks went on just fine per the instructions.

Sorry, I didn't intend on making you angry.

No dispute on your quote there. It is clearly for ride height adjustment.

Coil spring preload adjustment, which is the topic being discussed here, is a different and independent adjustment. You set the preload by adjusting the spring perch with the revolver looking holes in it, after loosening the lock nut next to the spring perch (not ride height lock-nuts).

These 422 shocks come set with minimum preload.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

Just ordered some 422's from "Riders Discount" on special.

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/searc...rder=relevance

Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Get the spanner and go for it.
Just remember it's takes some tweaking.
SO backing stock nut out, and adjustment body of my stock 2008 rocker shocks with 1800k miles on it applys, or is this just with the progressive shocks?
The general rule of thumb I use is:

4 turns for load <= 180 lbs.

3 turns for 180lbs < load <= 235lbs

2 turns for 235lbs < load <= 300lbs

1 turn for 300lbs < load <= 375lbs

0 turns for 375 < load

Examples:

235lbs solo rider: 3 full turns

235lbs solo rider + 32lbs pack: 2.5 turns

235lbs rider + 150lbs passenger + 32lbs pack: 0.5 turns

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
is this just with the progressive shocks
I haven't seen the 422 adjustment procedures but I would think they would be the same as the OEM shocks.

Personally for me getting the RAP (Remote Adjustable Preload) version was an easy decision since I'm constantly switching between 1 and 2 up riding.
As previously stated; with the RAP version once you get your initial setup done all you need to adjust the preload is to turn a **** to adjust it to the load.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

so what I posted is for the OEM SHOCKS? THANKS

Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
so what I posted is for the OEM SHOCKS? THANKS
I know that's what I responded too.

You asked if my instructions were for Progressive 422s.
My response was I haven't seen the Progressive 422 adjustment procedures.

So since I haven't seen the Progressive 422 adjustment procedures then obviously the instructions I provided where for the OEM shocks that you were inquiring about.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422s: Preload... huh!