Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy front end on fxst

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Jgrasham
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy front end on fxst

I've tried searching without adequate results. Will a mid 90's fl front end bolt on my FXST? I was thinking the necks are longer or different somehow, can't find information to support or refute it.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Same except you would need different wheel spacers. I don't know what bike you have so a difference in axels size might also be an issue

Old 08-18-2016, 08:38 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 3,012 Posts

If you're changing the forks, and within similar year ranges it's a direct swap. But you'll need a new 16" rim.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I think the Fatboy's over all length is shorter than the FXST, as far as the triple trees it's a bolt on no issues. Wheel & brakes combinations are many so need more info on what your doing and have to do it with.

Check an online catalog like Custom chrome or drag specs and look up for tubes for each model it should give the stock lengths for each.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Dave0176
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgrasham
I've tried searching without adequate results. Will a mid 90's fl front end bolt on my FXST? I was thinking the necks are longer or different somehow, can't find information to support or refute it.
Depends on what year FXST you have, if you have a 2000 up you'll need a complete 90s front end including brake caliper and wheel, as 99 and earlier are different. It'll physically bolt on no problem though.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 AM
Jgrasham
Advanced

Mine is an 07, and I had planned to put on an enforcer wheel on the front.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, with the new given information. The front end will bolt on, yes. However, the change of the front end will require a 3/4 Axel, new brake, new front wheel, new bearings, and new Axel spacers. To which, then your enforcer wheel will need to be modified because it won't fit. Easy story is find a similar year from end that uses the same size wheel bearings and it makes your life much easier.

Sounds like you just want a fatboy style front end. Here is the answer to that. Keep your fork tubes and internals. Buy the fatboy lower legs and fatboy trees with the tins for the trees and headlight. Put it together. Blamo! Fatboy front end. Don't forget to buy matching year category parts

Old 08-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Jgrasham
Advanced

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Well, with the new given information. The front end will bolt on, yes. However, the change of the front end will require a 3/4 Axel, new brake, new front wheel, new bearings, and new Axel spacers. To which, then your enforcer wheel will need to be modified because it won't fit. Easy story is find a similar year from end that uses the same size wheel bearings and it makes your life much easier.

Sounds like you just want a fatboy style front end. Here is the answer to that. Keep your fork tubes and internals. Buy the fatboy lower legs and fatboy trees with the tins for the trees and headlight. Put it together. Blamo! Fatboy front end. Don't forget to buy matching year category parts
How will the wheel need modified? I'm actually going for a bagger with a remove able batwing fairing, and want the fatboy/ road king look. Im possibly just going to sell my FXST and get a street glide, sounds easier

Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

If it is a new style enforcer wheel on a 84-99 style softail front end..... The enforcer wheel uses different bearings (sized) which will the cause spacing issues. I.e. You will need adapter bearings or sleeves, then different wheel spacers. The newer style wheels use floating rotors and different style brake calipers than the 84-99. So you will have to space these as well which can lead to having to machine some parts on the wheel maybe. That's what I mean

Old 08-20-2016, 08:52 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is a link to a minor sample of what I am talking about. It can be done it just depends on how far you want to go
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...4914?_k=qjgisg

Quick Reply: Fatboy front end on fxst