Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contol Panel dead on Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 PM
redwidglide
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did get at the speed sensor. Dropped the inner fender, and the BCM mount and was able to reach right in. (with a bit of contortion on my wrist) Cleaned every plug on the Speed sensor, the two on the BCM, the big one on the ECM all three under the tank panel and not quite wallah! But works 90% of the time now. There is condensation on the glass of the speedo so moisture must have gotten in there as well. Not sure how as I didn't spray the tank. But it's wet none the less. I'm gonna put the speedo in a bag of rice for a few days and from what I hear that should draw the moisture out. Thanks to all for your advice and tips.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dissasemble your ignition switch and clean and grease it with dielectric grease. when you get it apart you'll see all of the corrosion and gunk in there. Mine did exactly the same thing, dead dash, no speedo, but the bike would still start. Cleaned and greased it, then the world was perfect again. Haha.

Mike

Old 08-31-2016, 05:28 AM
redwidglide
3rd Gear

Really?! Wow I gotta try that today for sure! Thanks!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:54 PM
redwidglide
3rd Gear

Ok so for anyone else that runs into this problem. The electronics must be very fussy in the speedometer on a 2011. I had some condensation but nothing more than I've had on my other bikes over the years after a bath or getting caught in the rain. I tried every suggestion I received from you all and I do appreciate all I received. In the end due to the water not going away I took the speedometer out of the tank panel. Placed it in a position so I could aim a 500 watt halogen work light at it to warm the gauge. I then took a small shop vac and taped the hose over the opening for the electric connection plug. I monitored the temp with a temp gun so not to get anything too hot. I kept an eye on it for like 8 hours or so allowing the water to evaporate and the vac to pull it out of the case. When all the moisture was gone from the glass I turned off the light and left the vac run until the speedometer was room temp to prevent any moisture finding its way in during the cooling process. And walah! problem solved. Thanks again to all who responded!!