Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a breakout - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Love the Breakout. Great looking bike.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
I loved the look of the '13, paint, chrome wheels, but not the the 16/17 CVO.

The picture above looks good except for the flames on the tank, even if paint and not a decal. It would look better with just the Hard Candy paint and a painted HD emblem.

But i do like the BO style, for a local cruiser.
Thanks...yes I don't care for flames but do like chrome so would probably replace the black exhaust and black lower fork sliders, and color-match the oil tank cover.....or perhaps just look for a '13 BO.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just pull the trigger...you won't regret the choice...

Old 08-28-2016, 10:21 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firemandiver
Sorry, forgot to address your other questions: There are some things that are, of course, model year specific, but a lot crosses over from year to year. There is also a lot of softail stuff that may fit the BO, even though the application isn't BO specific. There are quite a few threads on that topic here. The best is the "Everything Breakout" thread. About 400 pages of Breakout stuff. There are some guys on here that are BO gurus, and have done tons of mods and upgrades. Spend a few days going through the threads and you'll find just about anything you'll have questions about.

As for maintenance, I've had no issues at all. Oil changes are easy, and all the mods I've made were pretty straightforward. I highly recommend getting a factory service manual. They are $60 or so from the dealer. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Hope this helps.

FD
Thanks, will check out that thread.

I always have a service manual handy for reference since I do most of my own mods and maintenance. But this forum and youtube/fix my hog videos have been invaluable. I've done over $10k in mods on my bike and a lot of those mods have been with the help of this forum and vids. You just need to filter out opinion from fact and validate accuracy.

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
Just pull the trigger...you won't regret the choice...
Your bike is awesome...similar to my vision. My sporty looks similar without the bags and fairings (which are quick release)....tons of mods and all chromed out, but just doesn't have that BO look with the 240 rear. But rather than modding my sporty to accept a larger rear, I figure check out the BO.

My only concern is carrying stuff...I carry a tool bag, portable air compressor, AG jump starter/charger on one side, and my work and apparel stuff on the other....and I hate wearing back packs which is why I converted my sporty into a bagger.

Pulling the trigger is easier said than done when you have to contend with the wife lol....so unfortunately I need to develop a well planned strategy.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Breakout is a great bike. It is the only Harley I've ever owned though (my second Breakout). Like most Harley's there are plenty of mods to make it your own. You don't hear to many complaints about them from anybody that has one.

Last edited by Dalt10; 08-28-2016 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I ride the **** out of mine. As much as I ride at speed the fairing is a blessing. Quick release of course. The original 13 model with some added power. Still turns heads everywhere I go and I have no complaints. What are you waiting for?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:04 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdonis
I ride the **** out of mine. As much as I ride at speed the fairing is a blessing. Quick release of course. The original 13 model with some added power. Still turns heads everywhere I go and I have no complaints. What are you waiting for?
Strategy...how to approach this with the wife..lol. Waiting for a good deal on a used BO from my contacts at the dealership and to find out how much I can get for my sporty from the sale manager.

Maybe I will just wait until the softail comes with the gen2 M8.

Last edited by hscic; 08-28-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 AM
mattjohnsonatx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 2016 Breakout a couple weeks ago and have zero complaints. Prior bikes were crotch rockets but I wanted something different this time around and this bike's lines, riding position and style are perfect. It's also my first Harley and so far, minus the price of these bikes =), I've been pleased with everything.

I've been lurking in these forums for awhile reading through the countless threads regarding the breakout and all the different mods available. Needless to say I have quite a laundry list of things I'd like to do. There are definitely a lot of mechanically talented folks on here giving great advice and helping others out which is awesome.

Last edited by mattjohnsonatx; 08-29-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Your bike is awesome...similar to my vision. My sporty looks similar without the bags and fairings (which are quick release)....tons of mods and all chromed out, but just doesn't have that BO look with the 240 rear. But rather than modding my sporty to accept a larger rear, I figure check out the BO.

My only concern is carrying stuff...I carry a tool bag, portable air compressor, AG jump starter/charger on one side, and my work and apparel stuff on the other....and I hate wearing back packs which is why I converted my sporty into a bagger.

Pulling the trigger is easier said than done when you have to contend with the wife lol....so unfortunately I need to develop a well planned strategy.

Yep, carrying stuff on a BO needs a temporary sacrifice in terms of look but there are some specific side bags for it if you need...
Regarding the "wife issue"...find your own way to convince her...bet you have the right "tools" to obtain her necessary permission, otherwise simply use her same weapons...:icon_mrgree n:

Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Strategy...how to approach this with the wife..lol. Waiting for a good deal on a used BO from my contacts at the dealership and to find out how much I can get for my sporty from the sale manager.

Maybe I will just wait until the softail comes with the gen2 M8.
INHO wait for the Milwaukee 8 to make its way into the Breakout. At that point, if they did something terrible to it, you could still buy a previous model year for cheaper.

Regarding negotiating with the wife, it is pretty simple.

Withhold the sex from her until she agrees to the bike purchase.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a breakout - opinions please