Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88B Rod Knock - I hope not

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Jimmy Knuckles
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 88B Rod Knock - I hope not

2006 FXSTS with 36000 miles. About 500 miles ago I noticed a knocking noise at idle. Open the throttle and just off idle the noise goes away. When the engine is up to temp and at a low idle I can actually feel a knock in the handle bar.
Now I've experienced a rod knock in an automobile engine - no banging at idle but put it under load and it will bang away.
The noise in the bike is just opposite that. The noise is present at idle, but off idle the noise is gone. If you get it moving in 1st and then shift up to 3rd or 4th and open the throttle wide it just labors and pulls like it always did. No knock.
Anyone have any suggestions? Am I looking at a tear down or is there something else I haven't thought of?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:32 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

What has been done to the engine?

Did you do a compression & leakdown test? Have you checked the crankrunout and made sure it wasn't over .00... .012" ?

The following users liked this post:
Jimmy Knuckles (09-28-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:38 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Put a real mechanics 2 ear probe stethoscope on it. (all over it). If it's really tapping from something too loose, it will let you know. These all roller engines can make noise and still be fine. The uneven firing order just rattles steel on steel and you can hear it. Does not mean it's too loose. I would sure not tear it down for that if it sounded fine at speed. You say like it always did to " If you get it moving in 1st and then shift up to 3rd or 4th and open the throttle wide it just labors and pulls like it always did" I would not be doing this too it a whole lot. If you do, it just may have a lot of wear on the big end of the connecting rods. The small end is a bushing and it's V shaped. It has more surface on the bottom side. It can actually turn doing what you are doing. If it does, it will start tapping when it contacts the piston since there is not room for it at the maximum rod angle.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-23-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:40 AM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Check exhaust bolts at manifold. Re-align header to exhaust port, re-tighten to specs
Check for carbon buildup on pistons, use a can of Seafoam spray through your intake.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Don't freak out yet. From the described symptoms, I doubt it's a rod knock. The rods are on roller bearings, so if it had got to the point of knocking, it would self destruct in very short order.

Because these thing shake, check on the stuff Ripsaw and PeterV points out, plus engine mounts and anything external that might be hitting against something else.

And then, drain the oil and cut the filter open to look for shrapnel. If a rod is really knocking, the filter will be loaded with metal particles. If there is metal in the oil, start with the cam chest first to see if the inner cam bearings are going away.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

All good suggestions. One thing that came to mind. What is your idle speed? A friend had a slight knock at idle and it turned out his idle speed was too low. If it's too low, you'll not get enough oil pressure and that can result in a knock..

Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience with rod knocks is that if you raise the revs gently to about 2500 rpm in neutral just sitting there and let go of the throttle as the motor decelerates you will here a rod knock if there is a loose rod bearing.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 PM
mgenest
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had the same issue, it was my compensator, it was loose and needed to be tightened. Get yourself a primary cover gasket and some locktite. Remove bolt, apply locktite and retighten. Your welcome.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by mgenest
I just had the same issue, it was my compensator, it was loose and needed to be tightened. Get yourself a primary cover gasket and some locktite. Remove bolt, apply locktite and retighten. Your welcome.
Yep The compensator nut is just loose. You didn't hurt anything. (And I reused my primary gasket.)

Old 09-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mgenest
If it turns out to be the compensator bolt, there's a little more to it:
Remove bolt. Clean both inside and outside threads carefully, using a thread chaser on the internal threads if necessary to clean out all prior locktite (you don't want the bolt to bottom out on old Loctite). When reinstalling, use the tightening procedure in the latest service bulletin, which is quite different from just taking it up to a certain reading on the torque wrench.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-23-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 88B Rod Knock - I hope not