Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Sandman1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike wont start

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and hoping i could get some good info regarding an issue i've been having with my bike for some time now.

I have a 2000 Heritage softail classic (carburated), and recently after a good ride I stop at a set of lights, and as soon as my bike is at idle, it stalls. When I attempt to restart it, it will just turn over and not start. But when I turn off the ignition switch, and back on it starts right away. Once i got it going again I kept it at a higher idle, and made it home. As soon as i get home and the bike is at idle again.. it stalls. My bike has been doing this now for awhile, and now it wont even start at all.

I've been trying to diagnose this issue, so i've changed the ignition switch, changed the coil, changed the crank position sensor, spark plug wires, adjusted the idle, and changed spark plugs.. still won't start, just turns over

If someone has any idea what's going on, I would really appreciate the help.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I am wondering if there might be some dirt or debris in the gas. Drop the float bowl at the bottom of the carb. Look and see if something is at the bottom of the bowl. something might be plugged

Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

If you have spark then evaluate fuel.
Check inside of tank for loose liner piece, check fuel hose, check carb float.
A loose piece of liner in the tank could be moving in the direction of inlet with motor running and eventually block fuel flow, engine off the piece floats away but then returns to repeat problem.