Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Yet Another Tire Thread

My 2015 Fat Boy now has 4,500 miles on it, approaching the service date. The stock Dunlop tires have worn perfectly, but they have worn, as proven by the tire tread meter. While I'm still in the green, I am expecting to change them at the 6,000 mile mark. So here is the deal.

I am happy with the performance of the Dunlops. They handle great at 70-85MPH (the fastest I ever go) and do great at slow speeds, and handle great in hairpin turns.

So I cannot criticize the Dunlops much, excepting that 6,000 miles is not a sensational tire life. Assuming that cost is not an issue (I never skimp on tires, given that this is truly where the rubber hits the road) should I just replace them with the same? What is the "best" Fat Boy/Softail tire?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Edited out because I just don't give $hit.

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-27-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks, Bluraven, for your helpful comment.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-27-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently replaced the Dunlops on my Fatboy with Michelin Commanders. I really like the feel and handling of the Michelins.

I bought them here: http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/
delivered two days later to my door. Free shipping and no sales tax.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Dude, some of your post you come across as quite the ***. Follow your plate and RSPCT others and you will recieve it in turn. It was a simple question. Get over it or don't comment if you don't like the question.

My stock Dunlop on the rear was changed at 6500 miles and the front is still good at 15 K. The 2nd rear Dunlop on my ride is at 8500 miles now. When I replace the rear the next time I will replace the front also. I like the Dunlops.
One thing I read and I have put into action is relying on my front brake more. I read it helps to save rear tire wear. I do not know if this is the case but it seems to be working for me.

Last edited by kneesinthebreeze; 09-27-2016 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NBK (02-09-2017)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

I've been running Metzelers (ME880s until last year, and now ME888s) for over 10 years on Reaper. They outperform the stock Dunlops by a wide margin.

I regularly got over 14,000 miles out of the ME880s (on my last set of ME880s, I got over 14,000 miles on the rear and over 20,000 miles on the front), and so far on my first set of ME888s, I have over 17,000 miles on the rear, which was changed last summer, and over 11,000 miles on the front which was changed at the beginning of this season. The rear is nearing it's end of tread life, but I think it will last until I put Reaper away for the winter (PTOOIE!!! ). The front seems less than halfway done.

The key to getting long life out of Metzelers is correct tire pressure, which is higher than the factory recommended pressures. If you run the factory pressures, you'll be lucky to get 8000 miles out of them.

Cheers!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
Dude, some of your post you come across as quite the ***. Follow your plate and RSPCT others and you will recieve it in turn. It was a simple question. Get over it or don't comment if you don't like the question.
Thanks for your opinion; I'll lay awake tonight pondering your wisdom and try to figure out how I can change my ways.

Also, I've been "thanked" for my comments 58 times in 51 different post so apparently somebody appreciates the information this a$$ provides.

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-27-2016 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roller2200 (10-03-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
My 2015 Fat Boy now has 4,500 miles on it, approaching the service date. The stock Dunlop tires have worn perfectly, but they have worn, as proven by the tire tread meter. While I'm still in the green, I am expecting to change them at the 6,000 mile mark. So here is the deal.

I am happy with the performance of the Dunlops. They handle great at 70-85MPH (the fastest I ever go) and do great at slow speeds, and handle great in hairpin turns.

So I cannot criticize the Dunlops much, excepting that 6,000 miles is not a sensational tire life. Assuming that cost is not an issue (I never skimp on tires, given that this is truly where the rubber hits the road) should I just replace them with the same? What is the "best" Fat Boy/Softail tire?
In the experimenting that I've done, I've gotten the best mileage out of Commander 2's on my Springer. Not everybody will get the same results on tires and how they wear but since I've found these to work the best for me, I'm currently on my 2nd set.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv

Do you ride in the rain?

I'm more concerned about how a tire handles in the cold and/or wet than mileage.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Tire Thread