Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my very first motorcycle in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:19 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

This is your first bike?
That's a damn shame because you are going to likely dump this bike and it's going to be expensive to make right.

I'm not sure what you're thinking or who's advising you but nobody should be learning to ride on such a pristine/expensive/powerful bike as the Deluxe you show.

Save yourself some money and also get you a $1000 trash bike to learn on.
It will be a $1000 well spent.

Of course obviously your mind is already made up; but at least somebody tried.

Good luck and ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
pcmc2 (08-24-2020)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:21 AM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth, regarding the odometer, there's probably more than one model available. Some guys like the standard model; some like the one that also incorporates a built-in tachometer. Chose the one you prefer, and have it installed now, versus wanting to change later.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

My son just started riding. He bought a perfect first bike. A 2007 Suzuki C50 with 10k miles for $2,685 with 2 new tires.

It's easier to learn on a lighter bike.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (02-18-2017)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM
bluzman24
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is not a bike for a beginner and apes too! But if your mind is made up, please watch the "Ride Like A Pro" videos. You should be able to watch them on Youtube. Watch every second, take notes and practice. Those videos improve anyone's riding. Remember experience, does not equate to skill. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeEatersUnion
Could you post a link to what you have in mind? I'm looking at a few and there's some different styles and not sure what would work with this bike

These (or some variation of) are what I recommend:

Last edited by dfwhockey17; 09-30-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not go with price off for the odometer, I would make the sale contingent on them them replacing it and set the miles (if not stored, if possible).

Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

As a new rider, Your making a big mistake buying that bike with those ape hanger bars.
You'll most likely end up dumping it, or worse, running it dangerously wide though a turn.
I'd suggest you buy a used dual sport bike like a KLR650 to learn on.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:21 PM
SmokeEatersUnion
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went ahead and bought the wild 1 518 chubby road king II's

Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

I kinda get the guys that say don't start on a "big" bike, but not really. If you can afford the bike and are smart enough to ride within your limits go for it. I started on a brand new heritage that I bought 2 days after completing the MSF course. I was extra careful because it was an expensive toy and I didn't want to tear it up. I took my time on back roads and practiced slow maneuvers in parking lots until I felt comfortable. Of course if you go out and ride like an idiot there's a good chance you'll get in over your head and tear the bike up, but if you use some common sense and ride within your capability it will be fine. Keep the tire straight coming to a complete stop and go easy on the brakes, it ain't rocket science folks.

Sure cheap small bikes are less to worry about, but a new bike kind of forces you to be more careful. Another downside to small cheap old bikes is a decent size guy can muscle them around and manhandle them through mistakes - trying to do that when you move up to a bigger bike can lead to problems pretty quick. Anybody can throw a 400 pound 450 cc bike around, get used to that and then try doing it when you move up to a 750 lb softail or 850 lb fully loaded touring bike and it won't end as well.

As long as you're careful/talented enough to not have a self-inflicted issue at speed it doesn't matter what size bike you are on to start. As far as going down at a stop sign or in a parking lot/driveway it will happen to everyone if you ride long enough. I'll bet dollars to donuts that 99% of the guys that have ridden for any significant amount of time have had a slow speed drop at least once. I'll even go as far to say that there are 2 kinds of riders - those that have dropped bikes and liars.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I kinda get the guys that say don't start on a "big" bike, but not really. If you can afford the bike and are smart enough to ride within your limits go for it. I started on a brand new heritage that I bought 2 days after completing the MSF course. I was extra careful because it was an expensive toy and I didn't want to tear it up. I took my time on back roads and practiced slow maneuvers in parking lots until I felt comfortable. Of course if you go out and ride like an idiot there's a good chance you'll get in over your head and tear the bike up, but if you use some common sense and ride within your capability it will be fine. Keep the tire straight coming to a complete stop and go easy on the brakes, it ain't rocket science folks.

Sure cheap small bikes are less to worry about, but a new bike kind of forces you to be more careful. Another downside to small cheap old bikes is a decent size guy can muscle them around and manhandle them through mistakes - trying to do that when you move up to a bigger bike can lead to problems pretty quick. Anybody can throw a 400 pound 450 cc bike around, get used to that and then try doing it when you move up to a 750 lb softail or 850 lb fully loaded touring bike and it won't end as well.

As long as you're careful/talented enough to not have a self-inflicted issue at speed it doesn't matter what size bike you are on to start. As far as going down at a stop sign or in a parking lot/driveway it will happen to everyone if you ride long enough. I'll bet dollars to donuts that 99% of the guys that have ridden for any significant amount of time have had a slow speed drop at least once. I'll even go as far to say that there are 2 kinds of riders - those that have dropped bikes and liars.
How long have you been riding? The reason I recommend a smaller bike is for overcoming loss of traction. Rain/oil, wet road paint, gravel, tar snakes are best experienced on a lighter bike, where it's easier to recover. Panic braking is easier to learn on a small bike.
Can you learn on a big bike? Yes. Are your odds of dropping it increased? Yes.

Quick Reply: Buying my very first motorcycle in 5 days