Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my very first motorcycle in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM
SmokeEatersUnion
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying my very first motorcycle in 5 days

She's a lightly used 2013 Softail deluxe with hard kandy kustom paint and 5600 miles on her. Dealer says the only problem is the odometer is out but he assures me the mileage is correct. Harley says about $500 to replace so I got another 500 off the price. Are the 2013's mileage stored on the computer?

I am a new rider and my only concern is learning to ride with tall apes. I may change then out for now, until I've mastered the OG handlebars. Look forward to becoming part of the motorcycle world finally and appreciate any advice. Thanks, here's some pics...

Last edited by SmokeEatersUnion; 09-29-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
The following users liked this post:
hyprr1 (01-13-2021)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a fan of the pipes or apes, but different strokes for different folks..

If you have never ridden a bike, the apes are not good for a beginner rider. That's from my experience being on the shorter side.

Good luck with your bike and please ride safe.

Last edited by jkiser; 09-29-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet looking bike. You can't go wrong with the softail. What size apes? You will love them I have 18" apes with 4" risers and they are a lot more comfortable than people think. As for the odometer I think it's saved on computer but I would buy the odometer if they already knocked off the price for it or better yet tell them not to knock the price down and just them replace it. Congratulations on the new to you bike and Ride Safe.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Not exactly what I would call a great bike for a beginner.

Apes ARE comfortable. But that doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve with them. You can learn to ride on a Harley, and many here have done so. But do it safely. Take the MSF course, then once you have your own bike take it to a big parking lot and practice. A lot.

You definitely do NOT want to be learning the finer points of riding a motorcycle out on the highway on an unfamiliar softail with apes! Your intuition is already telling you that, so listen.

The following users liked this post:
hyprr1 (01-13-2021)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 PM
SmokeEatersUnion
Advanced

Taking an msf course and will probably just go in the garage and polish the thing until I take the course or switch the handlebars. Wasn't what I had in mind for starting but got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Get a set of 1.5" risers and get rid of the 4" pullbacks for two reasons. First, it will look a ton better, the profile of the bike is jacked up as the bottom of the bars is not in line with the forks (my opinion and strictly from and aesthetic standpoint). Second, it will lower the bars a few inches and give you better control. I agree that a bike with apes is not the best thing to learn on, but since that is what you have on your hands, an investment of less than $100 will make a world of difference for you by dropping the bars a bit and giving you a bit more control/less flex.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM
SmokeEatersUnion
Advanced

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Get a set of 1.5" risers and get rid of the 4" pullbacks for two reasons. First, it will look a ton better, the profile of the bike is jacked up as the bottom of the bars is not in line with the forks (my opinion and strictly from and aesthetic standpoint). Second, it will lower the bars a few inches and give you better control. I agree that a bike with apes is not the best thing to learn on, but since that is what you have on your hands, an investment of less than $100 will make a world of difference for you by dropping the bars a bit and giving you a bit more control/less flex.
Could you post a link to what you have in mind? I'm looking at a few and there's some different styles and not sure what would work with this bike

Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Agree in the risers. Hard to say what ones without knowing the handlebar clamp being used or the diameter of the current bars. Most are 1 inch but some are wider. If the clamp has no lights or whatever, you can go with any handlebar clamp/riser combo you want. Love the color btw.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 PM
SmokeEatersUnion
Advanced

Originally Posted by matte
Agree in the risers. Hard to say what ones without knowing the handlebar clamp being used or the diameter of the current bars. Most are 1 inch but some are wider. If the clamp has no lights or whatever, you can go with any handlebar clamp/riser combo you want. Love the color btw.
thanks! I love the color too and that is big part of the reason I got it! Going to pick it up Tuesday and I have a buddy that says he'll give me the old bars off his street glide to see if those work for now.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with Bigman, Have the dealer replace the Odometer now. There's a reason it went out and this way it will be covered.

Nice ride, be safe.

Quick Reply: Buying my very first motorcycle in 5 days