Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My fuel guage sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:09 AM
OscarsSoftail
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fuel guage sucks

Since I picked up my 2004 FXSTI last year my feul has not worked, it always reads full. SO I just go by mileage. I did a search on it when I first got the bike and I saw a lot of people had this problem with the stock guage. I'm sure it's probably just stuck, and I can take it apart and free it, but if it's going to happen again, I don't want to waste my time. Any suggestions for after market feul guages, or ways to really fix the stock guage? Thanx.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My fuel guage sucks

I slightly bent the float arm on mine to stop it sticking and I also fill the tank up slowly as it had a tendency to ram the float up to the top of the tank causing it to stick if you just let the pump go.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:21 PM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I took out the gauge as soon as I got my bike to put some matching aftermarket caps on. The gauge is worthless, just set your trip meter and fill up when you hit 150.
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
UglyLou
6th Gear

I spent the $50 deductible on my warranty to have the dealer replace my fuel gauge because it was always reading full...except when it fell to rock bottom and I ran out of gas on a back road 20 miles out of town and had to call AAA to fill me up.

If it doesn't stay fixed, I'll replace it with a nice aftermarket cap.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:46 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 different harleys that have fuel gages... first of all, just having a fuel gage is a luxury..

the funny thing is that the fuel gages on each bike register differently. On my 03 heritage, the fuel warning light goes on when I have about 1.5 gallons left.. on my 06 wide glide it goes on when I have about 0.5 gallons left.

if your fuel gage is stuck and your bike is under warranty, I'd say take it in and let them fix it. Otherwise I'd try fiddling with it.. and if that either made matters worse (as they often do when I'm doing the fiddling), I'd just start using the odometer like the old days.

PS. I don't know of any after market fuel gages.. sounds like a business opportunity for someone......

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM
JC650
Road Captain

My 03 Fatboy goes on as well with about 1.5 gallons left. I once thought I was going to run out on a trip as the light was on for about an hour. I got to the station and put in 3.5 gallons.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
mhendo
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

As I posted in this thread https://www.hdforums.com/m_1680872/tm.htm
I have the Kuryakyn led fuel gauge and I find that it is very accurate alot more the the HD analog. Just yesterday morning the led gauge started falshing red, about 10 miles later had to switch to reserve.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I replaced the stock analog fuel gauge on my Fat Boy shortly after I got it home, for an LED skull one. Both are brutally inaccurate. I consider a fuel gauge on a bike more decorative than functional. (particularly the LED one...) As others have suggested, track your mileage by setting the trip meter to 0.0 a every fill up, and logyour mileage so you have a good idea of your max distance on a full tank, in a variety of conditions, and you should avoid the "push of death" that most of us have had to do at one time or another. (Mainly because you always think you have at least another 10 kms of gas in her, than you do...)

Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine gives me different readings at different times - no logic to it. Ditto the trip odometer.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 PM
tbroenick97
Tourer

I hate mine. I wish the bike never had it. Ive rode for a long time without one and my Fatboy came with one so I got used to having it and now the thing stops working all the time (made the mistake of trusting it and ran out of gas). I went "under warrenty" and had them fix it... lasted about 1000 miles. Im done with it just going to leave it stuck cause theyll fix it for 50$ (warrenty deductable) and itll just stick again.

I agree with above, leave it broke or get a cap and just fill up every 140-150 miles and forget it ever existed...

Quick Reply: My fuel guage sucks