Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe or Heritage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I will say that I've owned five bikes over the last 30+ years of riding. They ranged from rigid frame choppers to Evo Superglide, Shovel Roadking-looking FLT and my current Sportster and Slim. Of all of them, I love the looks of the Softail the best. I have wanted a softail since they first came out... It only took me, what 30 years? LOL

The Heritage and Heritage Springer are some of the best bikes ever produced, in my opinion. The Deluxe, well, it's right there too.... I love a lot of the little styling bits they added to the Deluxe (tombstone brake light, beach bars, etc.). And, I also agree, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Old 10-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess probably the main reasons for going with Deluxe over the Heritage for us was the handlebars and sleeker turn signals/tail lamp... I also like the "Nostalgic" windshield and Deluxe backrest better than the ones that come on a Heritage.

Really - it is just about which one you like best and ergonomics... which fits you best or is closest to fitting you best.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 PM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Does the 16 deluxe come with abs standard option? Came with h my 16 heritage...both are great bikes...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe ABS has been standard on the Deluxe since at least 2014...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Super38
I believe ABS has been standard on the Deluxe since at least 2014...
Yes ABS standard since '14.
To the OP, go ride both. It's the only way to know. I'm 5'8" @ 180 and the Deluxe was my choice between the two.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:37 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I have both bikes. One of the main differences in addition to what has been mentioned, is that the Deluxe is built for smaller riders (seat feels like you are on the tank and cramped). My wife who is 5-7 thought the Deluxe was perfect for her height. She stopped riding and I inherited her bike. I had to change the seat and bars to feel comfortable (I am 6-0). Otherwise, I was cramped and felt like I was sitting on the tank. My butt would end up on the back of the seat to stretch out a bit. I eventually put a Maverick Daddy Long Legs seat on the Deluxe. No issues on the Heritage. Ron

The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Not everyone is born with long legs. At 6' with short legs the Deluxe is a perfect fit for me.
BTW nice looking ride there Super38!

Last edited by Sleeko; 10-23-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:02 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Thanks for all the feedback. I was almost hoping there would have been something I missed, like improved suspension, to justify the price. I never noticed the taillight, but I like it.

Axis, I am going through the exact same thing right now: some days I am convinced I should get a Roadking with the M8, other days a Fatboy S, but I keep coming back to the Deluxe and/or Heritage. I also like the idea of getting the Deluxe and getting third party bags and choose my own, removable fairing... I agree with Sleeko though "can't lose with either."

And the bikes a few of you posted are beautiful!
Thanks!
Wow all over the place on bikes you want.....may want to wait and see what you like 3 months from now.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I love my Deluxe. I'm 6' tall and it's very comfortable. I love the Panhead look. I wasn't crazy about the conchos or whatever they are called on the Heritage. I noticed they scaled those back on the '16's. I did however add my favorite parts of the Heritage to my Deluxe- the dash and floorboards. My grandfather had a green '49, so I wanted to pay homage to him. He says he really likes my Hydra-Glide, (that's what he calls it) and loves that it has the same tail light his did.

Whatever any of us have or get, be safe and thank Harley and the Davidsons for giving us the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Wow all over the place on bikes you want.....may want to wait and see what you like 3 months from now.
If I wait a little longer, for the '18s to become available, assuming the softails get the M8; my list will be down from 4 to 3: Heritage, Deluxe, and Fatboy.

The only reasons I am considering the Fatboy S (Lo w/ 110 cu) and the Road King are the motors.

I am 6' 2" with longish legs, so the height might be an issue for me, leg room is a major concern when choosing cars.

Quick Reply: Deluxe or Heritage ?