Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Heritage gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:00 PM
phxman2015
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2015 Heritage gas tank

Ok I have posted a question in the past about the 5 gallon tank on a 2015 heritage and got some good answers thanks for all the replies. I have asked the service guys at Scottsdale Harley where I bought my Heritage...But I still think something is not right and wonder if anyone else with a 2015 Heritage classic knows or has the same results...My hand book that comes with my bike new bike states it has a 5 gallon tank. I have run it down in the past pretty far and was but puckering till I filled up. Recently I ran my tank down till the range told me I had 8 miles left..(now this is city type driving) When I fill my tank up I only was able to get 3.75 gallons in....every time I run it down to at least 150 to 155 mile and fill up I have never got at minimum 4 gallons...Does the 2015 REALLY have a 5 gallon tank, or is Harley misinforming the buyer....Does anyone out there with a specific 2015 Heritage classic have the same results with their bike. I would love to hear from you and what you have found...If I have to take it back to dealer and have them prove to me that it is a 5 gallon tank i maybe should...Thanks for reading and am waiting to see what you all reply...Tony PHX AZ.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

My heritage is a 2014 , and I'm sure the tanks are the same. I get an average of 40 mpg with the kind of riding I do. I have ran mine down to the point it said I only had 10 miles left. When I filled it up it took 4.8 gal.. That is dead on!!!!.
I am kind of trusting when It comes to the low warning gas thing. So it would bother me if it was not fairly accurate. I would buy one of those one gal gas cans from the dealer.. Fill it and keep it in my saddlebag then ride local as I was getting low on gas to the point it would run out of gas. Then use that one gal to get me to a gas station and then fill up. This might reset the gas mileage counter. That seems to be clearly off on your bike...good luck to you , swifty

Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Yeah my '14 has always been off from day 1. Gauge, miles to empty. I fill up at the 150 mile mark on odometer

Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 5 gal tank capacity: accurate gage, light, 'puter.

Check out this thread and my post #11.

My 2013 Slim tank holds 5 gal. The gage, amber light, and digital computer (miles remaining) are dead on correct. I am extremely happy with all 3 measuring devices.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...st-time-2.html

Last edited by Jetfever; 10-23-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by phxman2015
... If I have to take it back to dealer and have them prove to me that it is a 5 gallon tank i maybe should...Thanks for reading and am waiting to see what you all reply...Tony PHX AZ.
Really? You're going to take the bike back to prove it has a 5 gallon tank. Come on now. First of all, the distance to empty readings are only estimates and, as such, are not accurate.

My advice to you is not to run it so low you're worried you will run out of gas because one day you will. I would guess, even then, your tank would still not take a full 5 gallons.

It doesn't matter whether you have a 3 gallon tank, 5 gallon tank or a 20 gallon tank. When the tank is low fill it. Whether it takes 3.5 gallons, 4.2 gallons or anything else. That's it.

I know when I've ridden 150 miles I start looking for a gas station without having to rush. So, determine at what point your tank is low and fill it. Most people set one of their trip odometers and use miles ridden based on average mpg.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 PM
phxman2015
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 5 gallon tank

Yes it should matter to the consumer if harley states the bike bike has a 5 gallon tank th_n the buyer should have a 5 gallon tank on his bike and if there is any questions. As to the gallon size why shouldn't the dealer take the time to prove if it does. As it is the buyers right to have it done as part of warrenty or have the calibration remapped on the digital tank meter...don't you think that is only fair to the consumer? After all what if it is found not to actually have a 5 gallon tank as stated in the manual..then they should correct the error not only on my bike but any other heritage classic...or maybe I should just trade it I for a victory and know that you get what you pay for....

Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by phxman2015
Yes it should matter to the consumer if harley states the bike bike has a 5 gallon tank th_n the buyer should have a 5 gallon tank on his bike and if there is any questions. As to the gallon size why shouldn't the dealer take the time to prove if it does. As it is the buyers right to have it done as part of warrenty or have the calibration remapped on the digital tank meter...don't you think that is only fair to the consumer? After all what if it is found not to actually have a 5 gallon tank as stated in the manual..then they should correct the error not only on my bike but any other heritage classic...or maybe I should just trade it I for a victory and know that you get what you pay for....
I really don't know how to respond to this. You take it back to the dealer and ask them to prove it has a 5 gallon tank. Then reply back and tells us the look on their faces and comments. Make sure you tell them it's the buyer's right.

How long have you owned the bike, a year plus or minus? You've been a member of the forum for 3 months, have 5 posts, and you're already bitching about your bike. You're obviously not happy. Honestly, I think you should trade it for a Victory.

Do you have a brother MikerR1?

The following users liked this post:
Spindrifter (05-23-2019)
Old 10-24-2016, 06:22 AM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow...

Have you ever checked your car against what the manual says it holds?

Last edited by Super38; 10-24-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have this little thing on my 2017 Slim located on the left side of the gas tank called a "fuel gauge". When the little needle is 3/4 of the way to "E", that's when I fill up. Personally, I don't really care what my MPG is. I didn't buy a Harley for its practicality.

On a side note, I don't care if Victory bikes are built like '57 Cadillacs. They are ugly, IMO.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Swapped out the speedo on my '14 Deluxe with the tach combo, fuel gauge is on it now. Low fuel light comes on when it's at the last gallon. I guess the better feature is the 'miles left'. I have filled up at around 4.5 gals but never take it to the extreme empty.
EDIT: Empty the tank, and have 5 gal fuel on hand to refill. I'm sure we'll all feel much more assured HD didn't hoodwink us.

Quick Reply: 2015 Heritage gas tank