Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have I done!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:34 AM
VWNESTA
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
You polished off the chrome plating. Wish that was my biggest problem

LOL yeah I hear that!!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM
DanR
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
What I found best to remove crap from exhaust pipes is a plumbers torch and a fresh cotton rag. Heat it up and wipe it off.
Yep, I take off baked on stuff with a heat gun and soft plastic edge and then polish it with Mothers Chrome Polish. I have also had weird stains or marks in chrome on my bike or truck that wouldn't scrub out with a sponge and soap and crazy elbow grease that came out effortlessly with Mothers. I swear by this stuff:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/p...ages/05212.jpg

The last time I had a weird water stain down my chrome bumber but it was clearly some chemical that leaked on there and stained the bumper. I scrubbed at it with warm water and several cleaners and it wouldn't even fade the mark. Put some of this on a rag and two swipes and it was gone.

Dan

Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM
chaselee
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Yep, I take off baked on stuff with a heat gun and soft plastic edge and then polish it with Mothers Chrome Polish. I have also had weird stains or marks in chrome on my bike or truck that wouldn't scrub out with a sponge and soap and crazy elbow grease that came out effortlessly with Mothers. I swear by this stuff:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/p...ages/05212.jpg

The last time I had a weird water stain down my chrome bumber but it was clearly some chemical that leaked on there and stained the bumper. I scrubbed at it with warm water and several cleaners and it wouldn't even fade the mark. Put some of this on a rag and two swipes and it was gone.

Dan

Thanks for the info. I'll pick some up to add to my arsenal. There's so many different products out there, it's hard to know which ones are worth a ****.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty well done. I used my shields as a restoration test bed and with the exception of some mild polishing with polish, the chrome can't be restored. After my tests, I just went and bought new shields. The good news is they aren't all that expensive..

Old 12-04-2016, 10:28 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Blue Job....next time

Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM
DanR
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselee
Thanks for the info. I'll pick some up to add to my arsenal. There's so many different products out there, it's hard to know which ones are worth a ****.
Another amazing product that I use for all kinds of stuff is Meguiars marine/RV cleaner wax, this stuff is also amazing. I've used it to remove black streaks from RVs that black streak remover couldn't touch, to removing a stain from a quartz countertop with just a few rubs. And you can find it at pretty much any Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MEGUIAR-S...r-Wax/29077979

Old 12-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 843 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselee
It's the heat shield
Well, heck, then, just replace it. FWIW, I have used 0000 steel wool on chrome in the past without a problem. Might be the extra elbow grease that was the issue.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Just do yourself a favor and forget about it. You're the only one that will notice it. Give it a month and you probably won't give a ****.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,702 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Just do yourself a favor and forget about it. You're the only one that will notice it. Give it a month and you probably won't give a ****.
Yeah, this. I've learned when I do something dumb like that to clean it up the best I can and wait a month. If it's still bothering then, it will be time to fix it.