Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close are you to the limit when the boards scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cops drag the mufflers on Road Kings and the old Dyna cop bikes until you can see the baffles. I have replaced dozens of them on bikes that were not crashed. Modern tires are really incredible. If you have ever seen Kenny Roberts ride his Softail, you would know that you probably are nowhere near the "limit" as far as the bike's capabilities.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

I make a lot of sparks every time I ride my Slim S…..gotta get a video of it one of these days….

Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Ya might as well park em if ya don't wanna spark em. Just sayin'.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:33 AM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 81rat
Think --- Just like pulling a TRIGGER --- and the same results
I have no idea what this means, but I am curious.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:24 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
Cops drag the mufflers on Road Kings and the old Dyna cop bikes until you can see the baffles. I have replaced dozens of them on bikes that were not crashed. Modern tires are really incredible. If you have ever seen Kenny Roberts ride his Softail, you would know that you probably are nowhere near the "limit" as far as the bike's capabilities.
is there an actual video of KR ridin his softail? Would love to see it. Met the man in person and watched his son race at a local track in NH once. Fast family LOL.

On scraping... Did nick my primary only once in a fast left hander.
Floor boards aer ground down on both sides. My Rush exhaust has plenty of ground clearance

Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Kenny Roberts can drag boards and still have a bit to go before reaching the limits. You, OP, as a self proclaimed novice are probably at the the limits if you're dragging things. Personally, I've dragged my knees many times at the track, but dragging floor boards on both the Fatboys I've owned tells me I'm there. Some bikes you can really push the limits, IMO a Softail is not one of those bikes.

Originally Posted by 81rat
Think --- Just like pulling a TRIGGER --- and the same results

Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A lot of people start dragging hard parts when simple body positioning could have got them thru the turn tighter and faster and kept the bike more up right. It's lack of experience. Me? I make it a game sometimes to scrape my floor boards in tight turns. I love setting the bike down and doing circles on the floor boards.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:37 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
A lot of people start dragging hard parts when simple body positioning could have got them thru the turn tighter and faster and kept the bike more up right. It's lack of experience. Me? I make it a game sometimes to scrape my floor boards in tight turns. I love setting the bike down and doing circles on the floor boards.

Good point.

As far as the video of KR, not that I know of. He is buddies with my friend who used to own the local H-D dealer. He wheels down the Interstate about 65 and moves to the shoulder where the loose pea gravel they use for traction in winter collects, then throws it into a full-lock slide and sprays a little roost. Don't try to match his wine consumption either, he can power down a few bottles per sitting.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

100% it is the hard parts that are limiting. Next is probably rider fixation or panic (a fistful of brake).

I have sport bikes and do a lot of track days, so I get my adrenaline elsewhere. On the Harley I am just not inclined - cruising easy

I thought to take a piece of 4 x 8 plywood, lay it on the ground, slide the edge to the tires and tilt up until I can see what parts contact when. That should give you the max (survivable) angle. Haven't done it though. If someone does, I would be interested to know if the idea works. Can't see why it wouldn't. Bike needs to be upright of course.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I've scraped mine pretty hard a few times with no problems. Have a look below. He scrapes the crap out of his boards, but look at the angle on the bike when he's doing so. Also, look at how he sits on the bike. I happen to know this guy. He's a friend of my next door neighbors..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 02-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pitbull_Dallas:
Carolina Joe (02-25-2017), GarageJockey (02-06-2017)

Quick Reply: How close are you to the limit when the boards scrape?