Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Where are the tools

Where do you carry tools and what tools do you carry. I'm wondering just what could be fixed roadside. A tire repair kit and some co2 bottles maybe.
What are you guys carrying.
I have softail custom with a sissy bar bag not much room.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Lotta guys are gonna say "Insurance Card & cell phone". I carry them too but I'm also carrying an Antigravity XP-1 booster & the tiny air pump which runs off of it, and an old handheld GPS which runs off of it, plus a compact Stop & Go tire repair kit.

A bit o duct tape and a few cable ties plus a multi-bit screwdriver and 8" adjustibles x 2 complete the list.

Antigravity & GPS fit in windshield bag, everything else in swingarm bag.

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-18-2017 at 05:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mcgee10 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

In terms of tools I carry absolutely nothin'. I'm member of an automobile club with free roadside assistance for all vehicles I usee....

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgee10
Where do you carry tools and what tools do you carry. I'm wondering just what could be fixed roadside. A tire repair kit and some co2 bottles maybe.
What are you guys carrying.
I have softail custom with a sissy bar bag not much room.
I carry a small toolkit with common wrenches, sockets, hex wrenches, screwdrivers...Plus mechanics wire and tape and Locktite... they are available from a number of suppliers. I keep one with each of my bikes, and I've always managed to get home. Yes stuff does break and vibrate loose.

I also have a cell phone and HD Roadside Assistance if needed...and carry a spare battery for the FOB and a small set of jumper cables.

I use the tools occasionally, but more often on other peoples bikes.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
In terms of tools I carry absolutely nothin'. I'm member of an automobile club with free roadside assistance for all vehicles I usee....
I'd like nothing better, particularly since I have the insurance too.

Up here in the low density great white north though, garage help can be hours away and it is possible to be riding in an area not within cell phone coverage too, though admittedly this is rare. The ability to cable tie a broken kickstand spring or fix a flat or other minor issue on your own can make for a far better day than waiting for hours, being eaten by mosquitoes, hoping the driver got the directions right, just to collect on a minor insurance benefit.

All this just to say, where you live has something to do with it.

The following users liked this post:
americanworkmule (08-06-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

The minimum... plier, multi-bits screwdriver, Allen keys kit, electric tape and a little roll of steel wire... if you cannot fix the small problems with that, use your cell phone!
But I never used them!

Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

To me what tools you carry is really dependent on just what you are capable of repairing while on the road.

I don't carry a tire repair kit due to having tubed tires there's really nothing I can do if I get a flat.
I do however run Ride-On in both tires so as long as the puncture is not on the side wall I should never have a flat.

I carry an Antigravity XP-10 jump starter and have the pigtail cable installed on the bike so if my battery is dead I simple just plug the XP-10 in and start the bike.
Just a note though if I had to do it over again I'd go with the XP-1 or perhaps the XP-3. The XP-10 is just a bit big and is really overkill for most jump starting applications for either a car or bike.

I also have the Antigravity air pump, however I've never had to use it but it does put out air so if I did have a low tire I'm sure it would work fine.

I carry a small "Husky (home depot) tool bag that I throw in the saddle bag when we're off on a long daily ride or on our occasional multi-day trips.
I put the jump starter and air pump in the bag which has an assortment of tools in it.

>1/4" bit driver along with various hex, torx and standard bits
>1/4" sockets
>two small adjustable wrenches
>small locking jaw pliers
>small vice grips
>tie wraps
>electrical tape
>razor knife
>small hammer.

It may seem that I carry a lot of stuff and perhaps that's true, but when the Wife and I hit the road for our rides we are generally in the middle of nowhere so I want to be prepared for as much as I can.

That being said, other than once leaving my stereo amp on overnight and killing my battery then using the XP-10 to jump start the bike, I've never needed anything in the bag, but if I only need it once I'll be glad I have it.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:31 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Get a tear drop tool box and a set of tools made to go on it, like Cruz Tools. Zip ties, duct tape, a squeeze ball siphon pump, tire plug kit and put them in your swing arm bag or whatever you use.

With the complexity of the newer bike's fuel injection etc., if your battery is dead, I don't think jump starting it will help. My bike is carbureted and it won't run without a battery. I am not sure if it will run with a dead battery, but it definitely won't run without one.

Get a mophie or similar battery case for your phone. Your phone is useless if it is dead. My mophie case increases my battery capacity 150%

When my last battery on my bike died, I replaced it with an antigravity Lithium Ion battery.

Last edited by Prot; 02-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Cruz tool set.
Stop & Go
I also have unlimited towing.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I don't have a softail but have a Sportster with hard saddlebags.

Here is a pic of my tool bag

I also carry Antigravity XP-3 jumper/charger, a portable HD air pump, and raingear...along with my work stuff. I too also have roadside assistance.

Quick Reply: Where are the tools