Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 FLSTF Air Box question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 AM
GarethR
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 FLSTF Air Box question

Greetings all! First post here so be gentle- and apols if its covered elsewhere!

I'm doing a budget make over on a 2008 EFI Fatboy. Rather than blow the budget on new pipes etc I'm keeping them, but want to get rid of the existing oval airbox and expose the air cleaner..

Big question is- is this wise? It'll look fab (depending on your taste) but will removing the box have any adverse effects on the performance. I'm not changing the pipes- these will remain stock.

Cheers!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

It will sound like a hoover vacuum when you get on it hard above 3500 or so. You may also get a few drops of oil if it sits for a while when the small amount of oil that is on the walls of the lines runs down. Mine has it. It serves no purpose. you use your bike for cruising, leave it as is along with the exhaust.

Might add a few HP at WOT but who runs there.

If you like a hoover sound, fine. If you want a little more noise, drill one 5/16 small holes in your center plate that you see in the end of the opening in your exhaust on both pipes. That will give you just a little throaty cam rattle at idle. It will sound like crap if you just knock it out. Two 5/16 holes in each pipe will make it lower going down the road.

You need a jobber length 5/16 drill about 16" long from Home Depot. Measure first.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 AM
GarethR
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Fella- sounds as if the box makes no difference? Thanks for the tip re the pipes.

Probably run it without the box and just keep an eye on the plug colour.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethR
Cheers Fella- sounds as if the box makes no difference? Thanks for the tip re the pipes.

Probably run it without the box and just keep an eye on the plug colour.
Your oxygen sensors will keep the mixture correct. You will see no noticeable difference in the spark plugs that show any problems. Just running a lot of stop and go on city streets and open interstate driving will show a slight difference more then removing the airbox. Just my thought is that if more air could come in from the slight baffle effect of the air box, then the oxygen sensors will add a slight amount of fuel and for the same speed, you will just not have the throttle open as far. However, you are not going to see or be able to measure it.