Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Opinions on Tires & Road Handling

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need Some Opinions on Tires & Road Handling

Greetings,

I'm interested in getting some experienced views on the overall safety and longevity of the newer variety of contemporary (and tubeless) so-called "Touring" tires, versus some of the more aggressive old-school 'tubed' tires often seen on custom bobbers and the like.

I bought a new Softail Slim last year which came equipped with 16" x 3" Dunlop Elite (tubeless) Touring tires (Front:MT90B16/Rear:MU85B16), but I'm looking to 'bobber-fy' this thing a bit further in the weeks ahead, and I'm intrigued by tires like the Coker #63525 (500-16) Beck Tread, which is a softer (tubed) tire with a considerably more aggressive tread pattern.

Anybody have any experience or meaningful views on this subject?

I see the Coker tire installed (both front and rear) on countless custom bobbers out there, often with vintage shovelhead or panhead motors, and the fitment looks to be perfectly fine with my stock OEM rims and fender clearances (i.e., both tires are roughly 25.5" in diameter, both are 5" wide, both are meant for 16"x3" rims, etc.). However, I'm not too sure about how they're likely to corner or handle in the rain, relative to the touring style of tire, and I can't seem to find any on-line reviews or postings anywhere that make a comparison possible.

Anybody?

Here's some photos of their respective tread designs:

DUNLOP ELITE TOURING (OEM): NOTE: Front = 5.10" wide, Rear = 5.50" wide.

COKER (BECK TREAD): NOTE: And just to be clear, at 5.00" wide, if this model of tire were used both front and rear, it'd be 1/10" (0.10") narrower than the current (front) Dunlop (at 5.10") and about 1/2" (0.5") narrower than the current (rear) Dunlop (at 5.50").

Thanks for your help and thanks for listening!

Last edited by 25-06; 02-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 PM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Take some advice from a guy who tried vintage style tires, Avon speedmaster/ safety mileage. Vintage style tires ride like vintage tires, meaning grooved roads at 65+ = scary, Grated bridges = scarier, wet conditions = scariest. Newer tires maybe don't look as cool but is this a bike you ride or is it a show bike? If it is a bike you ride get a modern tire.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your response! I appreciate your experience and the advice provided.

Yeah, I'm certainly drawn to the vintage (Coker) tire for its nostalgic look and its aggressive tread pattern, but obviously, not if its gonna get me killed! As you've quite possibly surmised, the bike is definitely a 'rider' (not a show bike), so safety is paramount.

I'll hope to get some more views and comments on this topic from other seasoned riders here in the next day or so, but whether they're in agreement with you or not, I have to admit that the physics of it, are a bit of a disconnect for me, and here's why . . .

The aggressive tread pattern of the vintage (Coker) tire pictured above would appear to provide significantly more surface area (for contact with the roadway), than the shinier, slicker (Dunlop) touring tire. In my view, that would certainly lead the vintage tire to potentially unsafe tracking of grooves in the pavement or on grated bridges (as you've pointed out), more so than the smoother touring tire. However, on wet pavement, it would seem to be the opposite. In other words, given its higher number of edges and ridges and overall surface area, the more aggressive vintage tire would be expected to grab better than the semi-slick touring design.

That's just my 2-cents on the optics and perceived physics of it, but safe to say, I've been wrong many times in my life. ;-)

Last edited by 25-06; 02-20-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 PM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Modern tread designs work. Modern rubber compounds work. Coker makes vintage tires with no better performance than 40 or 50 years ago. I have been riding for 40+ years and tires have never been better than todays under all conditions.

25-06 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I have no experience with the older tires. IMO most folks would not notice the modern v old school tread patterns. I have Dunlop Elites on all 3 of my motorcycles and love them.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:50 AM
ElliotDenson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t have any good ideas but you can search Google for best ideas.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotDenson
I don’t have any good ideas but you can search Google for best ideas.
Geee.....what a great feedback. Loads of info provided

OP I would only use those vintage style tires on classic bikes. The current bikes are designed to use modern tire technology in terms of handling load, speed, braking forces etc. I would only use the best modern tire available on a today's bike.

Br125 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Probably the cheapest tire you can get is a Shinko and they track really well. I bought Metezler 888's which were very expensive and they only have about 1/8" of tread, I don't think they'll last 3 months. In other words, how much you want to spend?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

My advise is to stick with newer tire technology. That advise is based on experience of riding old tech tires back in the day. If you really want to experience the bye gone era of old tires, just take and cover your new tires in Crisco or motor oil, then go for a short ride. BTW - aggressive tread pattern has little to do with anything when comparing different tires, its durometer that makes the difference.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 AM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Pipeyeti. If its a show bike or a weekend only with a vintage club type of bike go Coker. If its a rider go with modern rubber. My favorites are the Michelin Commanders. Best cruiser tire ever.

Quick Reply: Need Some Opinions on Tires & Road Handling